Place:Laindon, Essex, England

Alt namesLegendundasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 103
Leiendinasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 103
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.567°N 0.417°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBillericay Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1934
Billericay, Essex, Englandurban district to which it was transferred in 1934
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Laindon (#11 on the map) has been since 1974 a township in the Borough of Basildon in Essex, England.

The village is north of Laindon railway station on the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. South of the railway station and the line itself is Langdon Hills. Both Laindon and Langdon Hills are part of the Basildon post town. To the south-west of Laindon, the Dunton Plotlands was an area of small plots of land used as weekend cottages or smallholdings during the mid twentieth century.

Until its abolition in 1937, there was a Laindon parish. In 1831 it included 412 residents in 4,680 acres (18.9 km2). Three detachments of the parish were removed in 1880 and 1889, lowering the area to 2,049 acres (8.29 km2). In 1931, it had a population of 4,552 and was part of Billericay Rural District. When the rural district was abolished three years later, the area became part of Billericay Urban District which had its name changed to Basildon Urban District in 1955. It was merged into the Basildon district in 1974.

The district known as Laindon West was never part of the parish of Laindon but part of the parish of Dunton which was itself abolished in 1934.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Laindon. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.