d.4 April 1795
Facts and Events
||BEF 28 FEB 1761
||to Margaret Lynn Lewis
||4 April 1795
William Crow was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 392.--15th October, 1765. John Smith to William and Thomas Crow, £50, two several tracts of 195 acres and 213 acres on Craig's Creek patented to James Patton, 3d November, 1750, and conveyed by Patton to Smith, 195 acres.
- Page 246.--21st November, 1766. David Looney and Mary to William Crow, of Staunton, £290, 140 acres, part of 250 acres patented to Robert Looney, 1742, whereon David lately lived, and which he recovered from John Bowyer, on James River; corner Col. Smith's land.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 307.--24th November, 1767. William and Thomas Crow to John Ellis and Company, of Leeds in Yorkshire, £100.11.1, 213 acres on Craig's Creek conveyed by Col. Jno. Smith to said William and Thomas. Mortgage. Delivered: William Bowyer, February, 1772.
- Page 292.--22d February, 1768. William Crow, of Staunton, ordinary keeper to James Crow, yeoman, £800, 140 acres on James River purchased by William from David Looney by deed recorded; corner Col. Smith's land.
- Page 246.--19th November, 1768. William Crow and Margaret ( ) and Thomas to Ninian Minzies & Co., of Richmond, merchants, £322.1, two tracts on Craig's Creek, patented to James Patton, 1750, and conveyed to John Smith, and by John to William and Thomas Crow, 15th October, 1765, 195 acres; also 273 acres; also slaves, household goods and furniture, mentioned in a mortgage to David Stewart and Robert Breckinridge, 1760. Teste: Archer Mathews. Sampson Mathews. Robert McClenachan. Delivered: Ninian Minzies, 22d August, 1773.
Records of William Crow in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 231.--November, 1759. Wm. Long. of Staunton, to Samuel Wilson, of same place. Lease. 50 acres on Lewis Creek, part of tract leased by Beverley to Long for 99 years, now leased for 94 years, £2 yearly. Delivered: Wm. Crow, September, 1767.
- Page 111.--17th February, 1762. David Stewart, Walter Cowdon and Saml. Cowdon's bond (with Chas. Lewis, Wm. Crow, Robt. Reed), as administrators of James Leister.
- Page 156.--6th February, 1762.--James Litster's estate sold to, viz. James Ward, Geo. Wilson, Mathew Reed, Wm. Cabeen, Chas. Donnally, Ro. Armstrong, Edward Long, Pat. Cunningham, Andw. Greer, Thos. Fulton, Margt. Cameron, Jno. Stewart, Ro. Reed, Geo. Francisco, David Bell, Wm. Poage, Wm. Crow, Luke Bowyer, Abraham Thornton. Wm. Henderson, Jno. Buchanan, Thos. O'Neal, Alex. Gibson, Alex. Wright, Jno. Francis, James Simpson, Geo. Weaver, Philip Helveston, Jno. King, Geo. Anderson, Rev. Mr. Craige, Andw. Russell, Saml. Caldwell, Joseph Roberts, Jno. Gregory, Jno. Lucas, Mathew Clark, Jno. Anderson, Jr., James Robinson, Jacob Parsinger, Saml. Moore, Christopher Vinyard, Thos. Patterson, the Widow Bell, Ralph Gorrell, Jos. Russell, James Gilmore, Simon Robertson, James Hughes.
- Page 187.-- 20th August, 1762. James Simpson's appraisement, by Jas. Wood, Wm. Crow, Saml. Cowden. Recorded.
- Page 300.--16th November, 1763. John Bowyer's bond (with Wm. Preston, Jas. McDowell, Saml. McDowell, Wm. Crow) to collect officers' fees.
- Page 568.--26th March, 1764. John Stewart and Sarah to Israel Christian, £150, part of lot No. 3 adjoining the lot whereon Wm. Crow now lives, also 1/2 woodland lot No. 8. Livery by a latch of the door of the house on the premises. Delivered: Thomas Madison, March Court, 1773.
- Page 586.--15th May, 1764. John Park and Rebecka to William Kennedy, £100, 143 acres on Mary's Creek. Teste: William Crow, John Thompson, John Stewart.
- Page 392.--26th March, 1765. Robt. Finley's estate appraisement (appraised 1764 by Michl. Bowyer, Wm. Crow, Thos. Bowyer), recorded.
- Page 400.--27th March, 1765. Col. John McNeill's estate appraised, by Alex. McClenachan, Wm. Cunningham, John McClenachan, William Crow. 25th May, 1765, 1 negro woman appraised.
- Page 366.--25th May, 1765. Col. Andrew Lewis and Mr. Robt. McClenachan to James Shaw, £20, lot 15 in Staunton being that half of the lot joining the lot in Staunton now in the possession of Samuel Moore, containing 1/4 acre. Teste: Wm. Crow. Alexander Gibson, Wm. Kinkead.
- Page 30.--23d January, 1766. James Shaw to George Wilson and Wm. Crow, certain horses and cattle, £16. Teste: Archibald Mathews, James Huston. Delivered: David Bell, February, 1770.
- Page 71.--13th June, 1766. Samuel Cowden, of Staunton, to David Stewart. Consideration, David's going Samuel's security on several occasions. Tract which Samuel and Andrew Greer bought of Patrick Martin, 321 acres. Mortgage. Teste: Wm. Crow, John Stewart.
- Page 513.--24th January, 1767. James Hughes' estate appraised, by Robt. McClenachan, Wm. Crow, Robt. Reed, Walter Cunningham.
- Page 475.--20th May, 1767. Daniel ( ) Oharra and Elizabeth to Alexander Miller, £24.10, 125 acres on south branch of the Cowpasture River. Teste: Wm. Crow, Henry Key, Jno. Mills. Delivered: Alex. Miller, September, 1769.
- Page 112.--14th September, 1767. William Crow, storekeeper, £81.12.11, to James Richey & Co. of Glasgow, mortgage of two negro slaves.
- Page 96.--17th November, 1767. Abraham Smith (and Sarra) to James Hanna, £5. (This is a deed of B. and S., but recites a lease prior which does not appear of record at this place.) 150 acres; corner Hugh Diver's land. Teste: William Crow, James Hill, Benj. Keys.
- Page 295.--14th March, 1768. William Crow to Col. Andrew Lewis. mortgage, £55, 1 stoned horse, 1 bay horse, 1 sorrel mare, 1 black mare, 9 head cow kine.
- Page 303.--20th March, 1768. James Crow to Alexander McCaul and Andrew Edmiston of Henrico County, £360.6, 140 acres, part of 250 acres patented to Robert Loney, 30th July, 1742, whereon said David Looney lately lived, on James River, and conveyed to William Crow 21st November, 1766 ( ), on _____, near _____, to James Crow. Mortgage.
- Page 143.--12th April, 1768. William Watterson to James McCarty, of City of Williamsburg, £150, 600 acres bounded by the lands of John Anderson and James Allen, Jr., on Middle River, in County aforesaid, called Shanando, Mortgage. Teste: William Goodall, Lewis Tyler, John Warburton, Daniel Kidd, Malcom Allen, William Bowen, William Crow.
- Page 161.--9th September, 1768. Robert Wilson's will, farmer--To son, David, 260 acres I live on; wife; son, William (unmarried, infant) (?); daughter, Lettice, unmarried; daughter, Ann, unmarried; son, Robert, infant (?); sons, Thomas. Samuel, James, have already had their shares. Executrix, wife Mary. Teste: Robert Mitchell, John Tate, Sr., John Tate,Jr. Proved, November 16th, 1768, by John Tate, John Tate, Jr. Mary Wilson qualified, with James Ewing, William Crow, Arthur Graham.
- Page 358.--25th November, 1768. Commission for privy examination of Mary, wife of William Crow, in deed of mortgage by William Crow and Mary, and Thomas Crow, to Minzies, 19th November, 1768. Executed, 8th December, 1768.
- Page 178.--20th March, 1770. Andrew Johnston to Joseph Bennet, £38, on North Fork of South Branch of Potomac, near the Great Clover Lick, patented to said Andrew, 20th July, 1768. Teste: John Madison, Jr., William Crow, William Long.
Information on William Crow
William1 Crow birth date unknown.
He married Margaret Lynn Lewis. Margaret was born 1726 Donegal Co., Ireland. Margaret was the daughter of John Lewis and Margaret Lynn.
William Crow and Margaret Lynn Lewis had the following children:
- + 2 i. John2 Crow.
- + 3 ii. Thomas Crow Jr. was born February 20, 1762.
- + 4 iii. Andrew Lewis Crow was born ca. 1768.
- 5 iv. Margaret (Peggy) Crow was born Botetourt Co., VA ca. 1770. Margaret died 1817 Greene Co., KY, at 47 years of age. She married Josiah Wilson November 9, 1790. Josiah was the son of James Wilson. (See Josiah Wilson for the continuation of this line.)
- 6 v. Nancy (Mary) Crow was born Botetourt Co., VA ca. 1774. Nancy died BEF 1821. She married William Montgomery Mercer Co., KY, January 5, 1801. (See William Montgomery for the continuation of this line.)
From Rootsweb.com Archives:
Subject: [CROW-L] William Crow
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 02:33:44 EDT
Here is my Crow line. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
William Crow was born about 1726 in Scotland. He died on 4 Apr 1795. He was a Merchant and owned and operated Crow's Ferry on the James River, in Staunton, Augusta Co., VA.
He was married to Margaret Lynn Lewis Long (daughter of John Lewis and Margaret Lynn)(widow of William Long) in 1761 in Augusta County, Virginia. Margaret Lynn Lewis was born in 1726 in Donegal Co., Ireland. She died after 1796. William Crow and Margaret Lynn Lewis sold all of their holdings in Virginia and moved to Lincoln County, KY. in the late 1700's. They had the following children:
1.Thomas Crow. was born on 20 Feb 1762. He was married to Nancy Donnally (daughter of Charles Donally and Mary __________,) on 8 Apr 1789 in Rockbridge Co., VA. Thomas Crow and Nancy Donnally had the following children:
- i. Andrew Donnally Crow.
- ii.Thomas Jr. Crow.
- iii.Charles Donnally Lewis Crow.
- iv.William Jr. Crow was born on 16 Nov 1791.
- v.Margaret Crow.
- vi.Mary Donnally Crow.
- vii.James Carson Crow.
- viii.John Crow was born on 20 Jun 1806.
2. Andrew Lewis Crow was born in 1768.
3. Margaret (Peggy) Crow was born in 1770 in Botetourt Co.,VA. She died in 1817 in Green Co. KY. She was married to Josiah Wilson on 9 Nov 1790.
4. Nancy Crow (my line) was born about 1774 in Botetourt Co.,VA. She died in 1820/21 near Cairo, Illinois. She was married to William III Montgomery (son of William II Montgomery) on 5 Jan 1801 in Mercer County, Kentucky. William III Montgomery died before 20 May 1817 in Washington County,MO. He was born in Virginia. Nancy Crow and William III Montgomery had the following
- i.Andrew Montgomery.
- ii.William IV Montgomery.
- iii.James Montgomery.
- iv.Margaret Montgomery.
- v.Dowe Montgomery was born in 1812.
- vi.Charles Crow Montgomery.
5. John Crow was born in 1777.
Kat Steele Steward