Facts and Events
Jonathan Whitley was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 817.--21st August, 1750. Paul Whitley and Sarah to Jonathan Whitley, 200 acres on Buffalo Creek where Paul now lives. Teste: James Hemphill, Jno. Gallbrath, Pat. McKendrick.
- Page 510.--17th November, 1757. Joseph Lapsley, as guardian of Hannah, Jean and Elizabeth Kirkham, to Jonathan Whitley. Robert Kirkham, formerly of Augusta, had bargained to Wm. Cleghorn, and Cleghorn to Jonathan, but Robert died without making deed and Jonathan has brought suit. Conveys 30 acres on James River. Teste: Jno Semple, Jno. Gilmer. Delivered: Samuel Hunter, 1763.
Early Land Survey in Augusta County, VA :
- Page 65 - Johnathan Whittey, 48 acres, James River, February, 1767. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 25].
Records of in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 21, 1756. - (219) Jonathan Whitley vs. Hanah Kirkham, widow of Robert Kirkham. Martha, Jane and Elizabeth Kirkham, infant daughters of Robert.
- Page 24.--13th March, 1760.-- John Bowen's will--Wife, Lillis (Lillie), sole executor and guardian; daughter, Mary, 1 malato slave; son, Charles. Teste: Jno. Smith, Margaret Smith, Peter Luney, Walter Crockett, Jonathan Smith, Jno. Buchanan. Proved, May 19th, 1761. by Jno. and Jonathan Smith and Jno. Buchanan. Lillie qualifies (her mark), with Jonathan Whitley, Wm. Buchanan.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1767 (C). - Catherine Whitley, by Blakeley Brush, her next friend, vs. Jonathan Whitley, her next friend.--Bill for divorce for cruelty. Writ, 28th August, 1767.
- Page 367.--14th May, 1767. Robert Shannon, weaver, to Jonathan Whitlow (Whitley), weaver, £16, horses, &c. Teste: Solomon Whitley, Archibald Graham. (Note: Solomon Whitley appears to be a possible (but not proven) sibling. More research necessary).
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 18, 1767. - (211-212) The following produced certificates for hemp: Alexr. Gibson, Francis Brown, Thos. Paxton, Saml. Newberry, Saml. Henderson, Nichs. Sollace, Edward Sharp, Henry Larkin, Alexr. Walker, John White, John Black, James Trimble, Saml. Downey, Walter Cunningham, Moses Trimble, James McClung, John McClure, Halbert McClure, Joseph Long, David Campbell, James Walker, Joseph Lapsley, Israel Christian, Henry Lung, Jonan. Whitley, John McElwroth.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER, 1767 (C). - Catherine Whitly vs. Jonathan Whitly.--Divorce.
- Vol. 1 - AUGUST 17, 1768. - (319) Jonathan Whitley appointed guardian ad litem to Lilley Whitley. Margaret Clark appointed guardian ad litem to James Clark.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.
- ↑ Ancestry.com/Ancestry Family Trees: Public Members Trees.