Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find other users with common research interests?
- Users interested in a specific page will be listed on that page under Watchers in the left menu.
- To find users interested in general topics, such as surnames or places, one quick method is to Search for them:
- Go to the main Search page by selecting Search > All from the drop-down menu at the top of any page.
- On the Search page, select Namespace > User from the drop-down menu, enter search words in other fields, and click Search to see a list of User pages linked to those search words.
- For other methods, tips and tricks see the Help page.
How do I contact other users?
- For public discussion about a specific page, use the Talk page attached to that page to post messages. See Help:Talk pages for more information.
- For public correspondence to a specific user, use the Talk page attached to that user's User page. There can be several ways to get there, including:
- Going to the user's User page by clicking their User name and selecting Leave a message for User name near the top of the page.
- Selecting Talk directly next to their User name, if it is available.
- For private correspondence, use WeRelate to email a user with no exchange of personal email addresses.
- Go to the user's User page by clicking their User name.
- From the left menu, select More > Email this user to enter the WeRelate email program.
- Note: Email will only work if the user has enabled it for their account.
- For more information, see the Help page.
How do I receive messages from WeRelate?
- To manage your email notification settings,
- Log in and select Settings from the top menu of any page.
- In the Email section, select when you wish to receive email notifications.
- Email notifications about page changes, including messages left for you on Talk pages, will contain a summary of the change, a link to View the changes (known as the diff screen), a link to View the current version of the page, and a link to Leave a message on the Talk page of the User who made the change.
- Please note: if you do not click on View the changes when you receive the email, you won't be sent any further notifications of additional changes to that page.
- See Help page for more details.
How do I email a page?
- Go to the page and select more > Email this page from the left menu.
- Note: The email address you entered in User preferences will appear as the "From" address in the email, so the recipient(s) will be able to reply to you.
- For more information, see Help page.