Frequently asked questions
What is the difference between my "username" and "nickname"?
- In some instances, perhaps your username is your nickname, but if not, you can choose to add a nickname or even your real name to your profile. If you choose to add a nickname, then whenever you sign your signature to a page, your nickname will be seen in place of your username.
- Just a note of caution. Your username, not your nickname, shows up in logs and page histories, which could be confusing to other users who are not aware that you are using a nickname.
What is the "raw signature" setting?
- By default, this setting is unchecked, meaning that whenever you leave your signature on a page, a link is provided to your user page. Changing the setting so that "raw signatures" are used will remove this link in your signature.
How do I change my password?
- You can change your WeRelate password from your personal preferences page. Click My Relate and then on Preferences. Under the Change password heading, enter the old password in the appropriate field, and type the new, desired password in the two "new password" fields. Save your changes.
What is the "remember password across sessions" setting?
- Enabling this feature in your preferences allows WeRelate to place an HTTP cookie in your browser's cache so that you will be recognized each time you visit. This means you will not have to log in every time.
Why does WeRelate need my email address?
What email will WeRelate send me?
- On your user preferences page you can choose to receive email notices when
- a page you are watching is changed
- a message is left on your talk page
- minor edits (typos, punctuation, etc.) are made to watched pages
- when someone sends you a private email using the "E-mail this user" link at the bottom of your user page.
You will also receive a newsletter 3-4 times a year, and your email address is used if you forget your password.
How do I check whether I have entered an email address?
- Click on the My Relate button at the top of the page, then on Preferences. Make sure the proper email address is in the email address field. If the email address field is empty or incorrect, enter your email address and click on the "Save" button at the bottom of the page. A confirmation email will be sent containing a link that you can click on to confirm your email address.
How do I confirm my email address?
- Click on the My Relate button at the top of the page, then on Preferences. First make sure that you have an email address in the email address field. If so, then look at the "E-mail" section near the bottom of the page. You will see either a message stating when your email address was confirmed or a message asking you to confirm your email address. If you see a message asking you to confirm your email address, click on the "Confirm email address" link. You will be taken to a page where you can click on a "Send confirmation email" button to send a confirmation email. Within a few minutes you should receive a confirmation email in your inbox. Click on the link inside the email to confirm your email address.
Time Zone Setup
WeRelate defaults to Greenwich standard time. You may find it disconcerting to have the message you entered at 2:00 pm timestamped as 6:00 am. To set your Preferences to your local time:
- Click on the MyRelate menu item and select Preferences.
- Scroll down the page to the Date and Time section.
- Click in the offset field under Time Zone.
- Manually enter in the time difference from the Server's Time Zone (UTC) and your own. An example of an offset number would be -4.00 if you live in the Eastern Time Zone, -5.00 if you live in the Central time zone, etc.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Save. This makes sure that the times shown in the Recent Changes list are according to your local timezone. Once done, you are ready to monitor recent changes.