Person:John Jameson (14)

John Jameson, of Jackson River, Augusta County, VA
m. 1702
  1. Samuel JamesonABT 1705 - 1788
  2. Alexander Jameson1706 - 1797
  3. John Jameson, of Jackson River, Augusta County, VA1711 - AFT 1788
  4. Jane Jameson1716 -
  • HJohn Jameson, of Jackson River, Augusta County, VA1711 - AFT 1788
  • WMargaret White - BEF 1738
m. BET 1730 AND 1735
  1. Margaret Jameson1730-1736 - 1773
  2. Jane Jameson1742 - 1800
m. 1738
  1. John Jameson1742 - 1790
Facts and Events
Name John Jameson, of Jackson River, Augusta County, VA
Gender Male
Birth? 1711 York County, Pennsylvania
Marriage BET 1730 AND 1735 to Margaret White
Marriage 1738 to Mary Bell Wilkinson
Death? AFT 1788 Albemarle County, Virginia

John Jameson was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia


Welcome to
Old Augusta

Early Settlers
Beverley Manor
Borden's Grant

……………………..The Tapestry
Families Old Chester OldAugusta Germanna
New River SWVP Cumberland Carolina Cradle
The Smokies Old Kentucky



Not to be confused with John Jameson (1722-1776) of Beverley Manor, Augusta County, Virginia, who married Jean Erwin.

Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA

Acquisition of Land from "Chalkley's":

  • John Jameson acquired 280 acres in the Cowpasture area of Augusta County, near Jackson's River, 26 Sept. 1760. (Source: From "A Centennial History of Alleghany County, Virginia", By Oren F. Morton, B., Lit. Dayton, Virginia, J. K. Reubush Company 1923, Transcribed by Nancy Piper for Genealogy Trails) Note: it appears that John Jameson's son John may have ended up on this land, since he died later in Rockbridge County, VA, where most of the Cowpasture was located.

Disposition of Land from "Chalkley's":

  • Page 286.—15th October, 1765. John Jameson and Mary ( ), late of the County of Augusta, to Archibald Armstrong, £50, 280 acres on Jackson's River; corner land in possession of James Ewing patented to John Jamison, 26th September. 1760. Teste: Charles Teas, David Bell, John Ward.

Records in Augusta County, VA

From Chalkley's:

  • Vol. 1 - AUGUST 20, 1752. - (316) Patrick Martin and Alexr. Richey to be overseers of road from Young's Mill to Alexr. Richey's smith shop, thence to Buchanan's mills, with these hands: Adam Thompson, Geo. Peary, Ro. Young, James Peary, John Campbell, John Buchanan, James Moody, Andrew Cowan, James Callison, John Jameson, Walter Smiley, James McCorkle, Ro. McCorkle, Nathan Gilliland, Wm. McNabb.
  • Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 21, 1752. - (410) Maurice O'Frield, John Trimble, Wm. McFeeters, Wm. Martain, James Young, Jacob Lockart, James Vance, Patrick Martin, Wm. McClintock, Rob. Young, Thos. Piery, John Campbell, James Peary, Robert Davis, James Philips, John Spear, John McMurry, Alexr. McMurry, David Stuard, Hugh Young, John Jameson, Rob. McClellon and John Brown--to work the road under Saml. Wallace from top of North Mountain to this Co. Ho.
  • Vol. 1 - MARCH 21, 1753. (414) John Buchanan, James Clark, Jacob Lockhart, Thomas Kirkpatrick, John Berry, John Bartley, Wm. Martin, Josias Richards, William McFeeters, John Jameson, James Young, Hugh Young, Robert Young, William McClintock, Wm. Ledgerwood, John Trimble, Maurice O'Frield, Samuel Wallace, Robert Davis, Robert McClenon, James Moody, James Philips, Wm. Akry, Cornelius Donaho, George Peary, Adam Thompson, Thomas Peary, John Campbell, James Peary, Wm. McNab, Robert Scot, Thomas Reed, Abraham Masha, Thomas Dunn, Francis Dunn, Major Scot, John Bigham, John Black, Samuel Downing, Alexr. McFeeters, Andrew Cowan, James McCorkle, John Vance, James Gilmore and Patrick Martin--to keep road formerly laid off from James Young's Mill to said Buchanan's Mill.
  • NOVEMBER 22, 1755. - (514) John Jameson qualified Ensign of Troop of Horse.