The WeRelate ToDo list is now maintained at WeRelate:Suggestions The items in this list will eventually be added to the suggestions list.
- I've gone back to consulting full-time (not FamilySearch; other companies), so progress on this is pretty slow.
These features are being worked on now or in the near future.
- Delete unlinked-to redirects, especially sources as these continue to appear in drop-down boxes. --Jennifer (JBS66) 10:20, 27 January 2010 (EST)--GayelKnott 15:27, 27 January 2010 ; --Leo Bijl 14:43, 4 February 2010 (EST)(EST)
- On the Rename page screen, make the To new title field longer --Jennifer (JBS66) 07:11, 6 February 2010 (EST)
- see if it's possible to install the StringFunctions extension
- don't allow creating two accounts w the same email; goto send password instead - I can completely imagine situations where people want to separate their research interests and contributions. Why do we need to expend resources to prevent that? Reminding someone they have an account seems sufficient.--Amelia 23:39, 31 March 2010 (EDT)
- remove the talk namespaces from the "Other" add menu
- page-views counter
- add dit name type, birth name type, nick name
- add wording on pages asking people to contribute
- handle name prefixes (ap, de, la, etc) better when indexing (details and discussion) -- Jillaine 10:09, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- standardize page surname case? standardize title case for McCALL? make seq#'s case insensitive don't uppercase Van, Den, Der, etc. in titles -- Jillaine 10:19, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- Improved display for person and family pages --Judy (jlanoux) 22:36, 26 January 2010 (EST) - register? Yes --Janiejac 23:57, 26 January 2010 (EST)--Colin Madge 08:22, 1 February 2010 (EST)
- Does this include showing all marriages on Person page so all children visible in one place sorted by marriage? Then yes. It is very hard dealing with multiple marriages and getting children in right marriage without duplicates. In my mind, this is connected to displaying all events sorted by date. --Jrich 09:23, 27 January 2010 (EST)
- It is. It includes displaying spouses, children, parents, and siblings on the Person page.--Dallan 16:05, 30 January 2010 (EST)
- A rootsweb type 'register' would accomplish this!! (And newbies would see something familiar.) --Janiejac 10:03, 27 January 2010 (EST)
- It includes displaying families in a more-traditional husband-in-upper-left, wife-in-upper-right, children-underneath format. But a rootsweb type register view would be a separate feature.--Dallan 16:05, 30 January 2010 (EST)
- This is currently being tested on the sandbox. See the "New Look" announcement on the the watercooler.--Dallan 10:27, 20 May 2010 (EDT)
- The best thing would probably be for the system to generate a descendancy chart as a report for you, similar to RootsWeb. I'm thinking that 5 generations per page would be do-able. . .I'm thinking that there would be a menu option on the Person & Family pages that would generate the report whenever you needed it. And that the index numbers would show up in printed reports, but would be hidden on screeen. . .
It would be helpful if we could toggle on/off for seeing the index numbers on the screen OR for printing. . . Would you please add the descendancy chart as a request on the WeRelate:ToDo List? --Janiejac 09:20, 8 June 2010 (EDT)
- Improved editing for person and family pages -- Jillaine 10:08, 25 January 2010 (EST) - --Janiejac 23:57, 26 January 2010 (EST)--Colin Madge 07:24, 31 January 2010 (EST)
- order children when you add children to a family: default birthdate order can be overridden for children without birthdates --Amelia 12:42, 23 January 2010 (EST); Jillaine 10:11, 25 January 2010 (EST) (I would like marriages to be listed in order, too (on person pages)--GayelKnott 23:22, 25 January 2010 (EST) --Judy (jlanoux) 22:39, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- Doesn't this already happen? When you add a new kid whose birthdate is in the middle of the range, the saved page displays in proper order. --Mike 16:41, 23 January 2010 (EST)
- But when there are no birthdates, the order is essentially random, and can't be changed.--Amelia 19:35, 23 January 2010 (EST) - --Janiejac 23:57, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- format notes with user-entered spacing and line breaks (when oh when will this go to top of list?) --Janiejac 11:49, 23 January 2010 (EST) --JoshHansen 22:34, 30 January 2010 (EST) (see discussion on WeRelate talk:ToDo List)
- This is currently being tested on the sandbox. See the "New Look" announcement on the the watercooler.--Dallan 10:27, 20 May 2010 (EDT)
- Convert recognized dates that are entered into a standard DD-MM-YYYY format (ie 1-1-1801 will become 1 Jan 1801). Include date modifiers such as before, after, etc to convert to a standard format (ie Before 8-1-1900 becomes bef 1 Aug 1900). --Jennifer (JBS66) 06:21, 28 January 2010 (EST); --Leo Bijl 14:43, 4 February 2010 (EST) --DataAnalyst 10:44, 7 February 2010 (EST)
- Adding "move up" and "move down" sorting buttons on edit screen for fields such as Sources, Notes, Children, etc. Pressing the "move up" button next to an S3 source would make it S2, and change the references automatically. --Jennifer (JBS66) 09:51, 27 January 2010 (EST)--GayelKnott 15:27, 27 January 2010 (EST); --Leo Bijl 14:43, 4 February 2010 (EST)
- re-order events in edit screen; list events sorted by date (especially if this includes showing marriages on Person pages and better date handling) --Jrich 12:06, 23 January 2010 (EST)--GayelKnott 23:23, 25 January 2010 (EST) and eliminate Alt Birth, etc --Judy (jlanoux) 22:40, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- Promote "Marriage Banns" or other appropriate tag to be on Family page whether filled in or not, the way Christening is on Person page. Knowing intentions is not the same as knowing marriage, but is a pretty useful approximation if marriage is not known, and provides confirmation if it is known. Problem: there can be multiple publishments if spouses lived in different towns, but assume latest one should be dominant, as it was closest to marriage. If marriage date ever gets exported to Person page, or something similar, and there is no marriage date, use marriage banns the way Christening is used when there is no birth date for children on Family pages. --Jrich 11:54, 23 January 2010 (EST) (this is not a vote for importance).
- Promote Baptism if Birth and Christening are not found.--Dallan 15:37, 3 June 2010 (EDT) --Yes, please.--GayelKnott 16:34, 3 June 2010 (EDT)
- Add Source Citation box for parent-child relationships
- I vote for this too. Plus a place to discuss whether or not a child belongs to a family--DataAnalyst 11:34, 2 January 2010 (EST)
- Mm... I've always just attached the source for such a relationship to the child's name. Why do we need to break that out? Jillaine 13:16, 2 January 2010 (EST)
- Unless you specify that the source supports inclusion of the child in the parent's family, how do you distinguish what the source supports? A source on an individual could mean that it supports the individual being the parent of a particular child (when building a family tree from child to parent) or the child of a particular parent or set of parents. If I got a person's name initially through a marriage record (e.g., Torrey), I also put the source of the name on the person's record (not just on the marriage) - which means the source supports the marriage relationship. Depends on the order in which the individual was added to the tree. I find that few people indicate that a source supports a specific relationship. We have the ability to track sources for the marriage relationship; we should have one for the parent-child relationship as well. Either that, or people should specify which relationship is supported by each source - but I find that they rarely do. I've wanted this feature in the software I use for a long time, but was hesitant to ask - but if others see the need for it, I'm lending my support to the idea.--DataAnalyst 12:35, 3 January 2010 (EST)
- The Master Genealogist software includes the ability to attach sources to the parent-child relationship. This is the heart of genealogy, establishing relationships, and I'm surprised more software doesn't include it!--Lauren 09:41, 4 January 2010 (EST)
- Strongly agree. Picture (e.g.) a lineage society application with no way to source the parent/child relationship. --Mike 16:53, 23 January 2010 (EST)
- I am also for this one. But one actually should be able to cite a source for EACH parent. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to fit our family setup. --Judy (jlanoux) 16:02, 23 January 2010 (EST)
- Number each child in a family on family page (relative number within the family)--DataAnalyst 11:34, 2 January 2010 (EST) / YES --Mike 17:43, 23 January 2010 (EST)
- the edit screen for a family page is still too wide. It is very difficult to get the whole text window to be viewable while still showing the scroll down button. Using the scroll right or left button is not a good way to edit text. Viewing the family page, it looks fine; it is just when editing the page that the window becomes too wide. I'm using IE7. --Janiejac 20:10, 25 July 2010 (EDT)
- Agreed. Search is next, then person/family editing.--Dallan 12:42, 27 July 2010 (EDT)
- mixed-case months, lowercase or mixed-case date qualifiers (check which form is most common currently)--User:DataAnalyst, User:Jrich
- place-matcher prefers exact-match on name to fewer commas, so "England" matches "England, United Kingdom" instead of "Kingdom of England".--Dallan 14:55, 13 September 2010 (EDT)
- If a MySource is renamed/redirected, update the links to it on the Person and Family pages.
- Yes! Jillaine 13:16, 2 January 2010 (EST)
- I surely won't try to change a MySource to a regular source if my pages linking to the old MySource won't be automatically redirected to the new regular source! That would leave all the MySource links hanging with nowhere to go because I'm NOT going to redo them all manually. So my vote is a strong YES! --Janiejac 14:32, 2 January 2010 (EST)
- Yes for the auto redirect of MySources --Judy (jlanoux) 16:12, 23 January 2010 (EST)
- Miscellaneous includes Author field -- Jillaine 10:19, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- government/church sources allow publisher
- Add source button from search screen
- search w umlats (index as u and ue, query as ue)
- Would like better search function, maybe list by pages so you skip pages/sections. When you have a search return of 49,000, it is too slow having to just click on next.
- Make auto-complete on page titles case-insensitive.
- verify merged but not updated people are added to your tree
- don't create empty MySource pages
- fix bug (rare) where merging page with existing families may not preserve family links
- GEDCOM re-upload - Debbie Freeman --DFree 00:53, 24 January 2010 (EST); --Lauren 10:03, 27 January 2010 (EST)
- make sure gedcom uploader maintains child order (for children without birth/christening dates, as in other todo notes) --DataAnalyst 10:22, 7 February 2010 (EST)
- Fix unnecessary notifications bug where we get notifications of "changes" to pages where all that happened was, well, I don't know what, but the "change" link shows a space removed on the page. (This means that, for example, I got 18 emails today that show no changes. This sounds little, but will pretty instantly make people unsubscribe from the service the first time it happens.)--Amelia 22:24, 1 March 2010 (EST) (see discussion on WeRelate talk:ToDo List)
- disallow both spouse and child of same family -- Jillaine 10:12, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- If someone has the word "living" in a death/burial/marriage date in a GEDCOM upload, treat the person/family as living.
And also if they use the word "private" --Judy (jlanoux) 16:02, 23 January 2010 (EST)
- Except that I've also seen pages for people marked "living" whose parents were born in the 17th century. It seems to have something to do with the peculiar requirements of certain software. It may be related to those pages that say "Death: Y." --Mike 16:59, 23 January 2010 (EST)
- add text underneath Surnames and/or places you are researching to note: 1 surname and 1 place per field, please! This is within the ? tip, but users are still making this mistake. --Jennifer (JBS66) 12:22, 17 March 2010 (EDT)
These features will be implemented next, after the Current features.
- semi-private wiki areas where you can upload living people and decide who you want to share them with.
- Install ParserFunctions extension so that User Language box templates can be created (more efficient than Babel templates). (this goes along with MediaWiki upgrade) --Jennifer (JBS66) 09:45, 27 January 2010 (EST)--Regards, salutations, Grüssen, groeten, Fred Bergman 15:01, 31 March 2010 (EDT)
- new MediaWiki version Jennifer--would significantly improve ability to create templates and category trees , --Beth 19:19, 23 January 2010 (EST)----Janiejac 23:57, 26 January 2010 (EST)--Regards, salutations, Grüssen, groeten, Fred Bergman 15:01, 31 March 2010 (EDT)
- This represents a fair amount of work; I'll implement it along with the semi-private wiki areas--Dallan 18:37, 5 March 2010 (EST)
- forum for watercooler and other very-active talk pages - Vote YES --Janiejac 11:17, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- Redo Watchlist: -- Jillaine 10:19, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- Document namespace -- Jillaine 10:19, 25 January 2010 (EST) --Bill
- warnings list that gets updated periodically: same person is Spouse+child of a family; two spouses that don't share a common name piece; two parent-families that don't share two name pieces --DataAnalyst 10:32, 7 February 2010 (EST)
- larger edit boxes, better support for wiki markup, better handling of line-breaks in source texts and notes - especially keep line breaks from uploaded GEDCOMs in the family history text!! Yea! --Janiejac 14:01, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- View a 'register' format for a family -- Jillaine 10:11, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- ancestors/descendents report in NEHGS or NGSQ style -- Jillaine 10:29, 25 January 2010 (EST) If this is a request to be able to create a rootsweb type register, I'll vote for it! --Janiejac 14:01, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- delete pages for living people and families (if a spouse is living) -- and delete pages with "Private" --Judy (jlanoux) 23:52, 26 January 2010 (EST) -- will be deleted once we get semi-private areas for living people implemented.--Dallan 18:11, 5 March 2010 (EST)
- Merge source citations on a p/f page when they are identical -- Jillaine 10:29, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- See "famous" people that are related to you.--Dallan 13:29, 18 March 2010 (EDT)
- image naming convention? -- Jillaine 10:19, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- what-links-here for images -- Jillaine 10:29, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- Enable batch upload of images for the same document. I have a document that has 10 pages and the same copyright. I would like to select the ten images and upload at one time.--Beth 23:28, 5 January 2010 (EST)
- Geotagging images
- Automatically-generated watchable category index - be notified when new pages are added to the category.
- Yeah, I've begun to use them, too. Jillaine 13:16, 2 January 2010 (EST)
- This is one of the things I like about WR. Please keep them! --Janiejac 14:32, 2 January 2010 (EST)
- add tree: copy another tree is an option, w option to add new pages to my tree -- Jillaine 10:29, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- don't check a default tree, but prompt user if none checked - vote yes --Janiejac 11:31, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- generate a list of people in your tree as a personal research page - --Janiejac 23:57, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- tweak search weights; allow user-defined weights on date and place fields -- Jillaine 10:19, 25 January 2010 (EST) - --Janiejac 11:17, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- User configurable search result sort would be nice. Including ability to order by multiple fields, and date fields using distance from target date, e.g., sort by last name, how far off from my target birth date of 1680, then by first name. Rather than exact/fuzzy match, would prefer three: match all exactly/exact with alternate spelling (surname,givenname pages or soundex)/match any. Would use the middle type of match a lot. --Jrich 09:11, 27 January 2010 (EST)
- I agree. More flexibility/functionality with the search and with the results would be welcomed. --Amy 08:45, 29 January 2010 (EST)
- This has my vote - not as a high priority at the moment, but it will become very important as the site grows larger --DataAnalyst 10:32, 7 February 2010 (EST)
- give people a way to print the warning list -- Jillaine 10:19, 25 January 2010 (EST)--Regards, salutations, Grüssen, groeten, Fred Bergman 15:04, 31 March 2010 (EDT)
- If GEDCOM import does not already handle _SDATE (sort date) tag for events, please make it do so - sort events by this date, and suppress displaying the date.--DataAnalyst 11:34, 2 January 2010 (EST)
- Ignore/do not import UID and RIN tags (some programs make it difficult to omit these from export) --Jennifer (JBS66) 11:12, 2 November 2010 (EDT)
These features aren't planned yet; if you want to see one of the features added, please vote for it by signing your name. You can also add "high" "medium" or "low" to denote how important it is to you. If you have a request for a new feature, please add it to this section (don't forget to sign your name).
If enough people show interest, User:Dallan will move it up the page.
- new auto-complete code
- list watchers on merge screen
- better links to WR:Policy page
- remove unused, "city, state" place redirs
- allow source-wikipedia#section heading to copy just a section of a WP page
- verify index-number queues are up to date
- Move page: change title to Rename page
- <anchor> tag as a substitute for the HTML <a> tag, which is not allowed by MediaWiki
- delete link should add speedy-delete template or ask the user to add speedy-delete template
- run p/f, place audits daily
- references tag incorrectly remembers ref's from previous pages
- add tags to embed google books, other external objects
- make warning on 32K more informative
- PDF extension: print family histories; print help manual
- Add some skin choices for pages.
- ability to undo all changes by a user over a certain time period - for admins only
- try to improve possible duplicates matching algorithm
- in button bar in edit page, add a button for link with namespace and drop-down titles
- monthly email: changed pages not yet visited, warnings, new network users, famous people, new connections (pages not in your tree that w/i tree pages link to)
- "This page is only a preview" - larger font / red; remove edit link
- PediMap bug: Anna Andersen (1) birth place doesn't match?
- orange triangle on More menu? (details and discussion)
- Pedimap bug when cousins marry (Medium)--Jennifer (JBS66) 09:35, 3 June 2010 (EDT)
- autocomplete bug for IE7
- filter redir'd sources, other namespaces from drop-downs
- place autocomplete everywhere
- jtips everywhere: article, name, place, source, mysource
- auto-fix dbl-redirs
- google sitemap
- print css - fix it
- googlemap tag
- turn ' in titles to '
- spread the word campaign: emails, ads, welcome msg: invite cousins, signature
- links to delicious, digg, blinklist, reddit, stumbleupon,...
- Show talk page last-modified date+user on primary page
- look for redirect loops (details and discussion)
- standardize page title case for articles -- I'm not quite sure how to do this --Dallan 13:05, 5 March 2010 (EST)
- hist & diff links on redirects are broken in recent changes?
- save button at top of page as well as at bottom Jillaine 10:29, 25 January 2010 (EST)
- add #stars to SpecialCompare screen for score (like search)
- list all-time contribs + 90-day on dashboard
- show watch, unwatch links even if not logged in
- you have new messages - most recent only; misses earlier msgs
- remove dates from talk page section headings to links work
- Remove unused surname + givenname pages? -- Not until we have another way to equate names for search --Judy (jlanoux) 23:52, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- Integrate WeRelate with the semantic web. See User:Kgcrowther (though Kgcrowther hasn't updated that page for a few years) and also Using the semantic web for genealogy. This could perhaps be accomplished using Semantic MediaWiki as a springboard. See Familypedia how ity works !--Regards, salutations, Grüssen, groeten, Fred Bergman 15:07, 31 March 2010 (EDT)
- remove redirected (merged or renamed) pages from watchlist and tree
- MediaWiki:Edittools --Regards, salutations, Grüssen, groeten, Fred Bergman 14:57, 31 March 2010 (EDT)
- Enable class=wikitable sortable for tables. --Jennifer (JBS66) 20:28, 15 April 2010 (EDT)
- Assign trusted users who make frequent edits to Autoreviewer status so that new page patrolling is easier.--Jennifer (JBS66) 10:55, 17 May 2010 (EDT)
- List all spouses of husband and wife on compare families (merge) page - it helps to identify when one of the spouses should not be merged, or when further research is required before merging --DataAnalyst 23:22, 30 August 2010 (EDT)
- birthplace, deathplace, marriageplace event types
- dna and dna lab facts
- implement source citations
- templates (like wikia has / scrapbooking)
- select from a drop-down list of templates when editing a person/family/source etc page
- Display full-name instead of title everywhere
- Display birthdate under title?
- rename person/family automatically
- make sure that propagated data on family/place pages is correct; fix it if not
- better date handling: yyyy/yy, AFT/BEF/ABT date
- use gallery to display images, but make sure that WLH links still work both ways.
- auto-set gender on add spouse/father/mother
- move events up and down when editing
- add child auto populates the surname with the husband's surname
- allow people to enter name prefix/suffix in "add person"
- embed infobox, map, timeline (300px). (there is a wikimedia extension to add timelines (WikiTimeLine), which may be worth looking at --Obstinatesnooper 15:35, 5 September 2010 (EDT))
- editable register display - YES --Janiejac 23:57, 26 January 2010 (EST)
- can't enter a non-existing title in family or person links
- Automatically remove characters such as #, ?, (), --, , etc from name fields (keep apostrophes) --Jennifer (JBS66) 13:01, 28 January 2010 (EST); --Leo Bijl 14:43, 4 February 2010 (EST) (need more information - see discussion on WeRelate talk:ToDo List)
- add "remove" link to main person/family events
- List person pages with same child_of_family and spouse_of_family
- disputed/discredited flag on data elements
- Remove red p/f links due to pages being deleted
- Update propagated person data in merged family pages
- easy way to merge two duplicate children in the same family -- don't we already have this? Jillaine 10:29, 25 January 2010 (EST) -- not that I know of; I believe you have to click on one of the children, then click on "Find duplicates", which searches the entire wiki for duplicates.--Dallan 21:54, 30 January 2010 (EST)
- link to new.familysearch.org person IDs -- is this a request for a new "Event/Fact" type of "FamilySearch ID" that would link to this person's page on new.familysearch.org, and which you would enter by hand (this would be easy to implement)? Or is it a request for the computer to automatically determine links between people on WeRelate.org and people at new.familysearch.org (which would be difficult)?--Dallan 10:54, 17 March 2010 (EDT)
- Add either an icon or letter M/F to indicate gender of children on Family pages. --Jennifer (JBS66) 14:38, 15 August 2010 (EDT)
- When both birth and death dates are entered, calculate age at death --Jennifer (JBS66) 14:38, 15 August 2010 (EDT) If you do this, I would suggest you make it a non-editable field so it is very clear that it is calculated by the system, and not an independent data field. Often books that give the age at death aren't very clear whether it is taken from a gravestone, and confirms their various dates given, or calculated by the author, and simply annother representation of the data already presented. --Jrich 14:57, 15 August 2010 (EDT)
- Prevent page titles from being added in all capital letters. Convert the letters to mixed-case --Jennifer (JBS66) 10:09, 15 October 2010 (EDT)
- rename repositories section to Versions
- Show WorldCat link for book sources
- new citation format + Versions (repositories) with citation field
- Remove unlinked GenWeb Source pages
- Increase width of volume / page # field
- find duplicate sources link
- find/add source goes directly to search screen w keywords
- display author under source in auto-complete
- Generate a list of "Should be a MySource" sources
- add "Online book" as an availability option
- "find/add" link for a repo on a Source page
- Allow publisher, publ. date, publ. place to be a repeating field; repeat elm
- auto-watch referenced sources system preference
- Remove the type website from source drop-down box, and edit corresponding tip text (see discussion on WeRelate talk:ToDo List)
- allow adding source pages with quotes
- "Other geographically-oriented records" type?
- Don't allow deleting MySources if others are watching, or if pages point to it??
- Don't allow creating a MySource not prefixed by your name?
- Don't allow others to edit your MySource pages? Don't support. --Beth 20:26, 24 June 2011 (EDT) If it truly is a unique source, who is qualified to edit besides the user? Suggest like user pages, not editable by others, but talk page is. --Jrich 20:55, 24 June 2011 (EDT)Moved to talk page.--Beth 22:23, 24 June 2011 (EDT)
- When create source from link, try to populate author, title fields.
- fix Source:The Vogts von Berg in Düsseldorf and America - no results unless you remove the umlat
- Rework occu list: consolidate; add metalworking
- Refresh ancestry sources
- new repository types: library, archive, others
- Repository search on add: searches both Source and Repository namespaces for awhile (details and discussion)
- Search: Repostory Name -> Title
- display image copyright on mouseover/caption where-ever image is displayed
- surnames in images again
- don't put photos in license categories except for "review needed"
- display image annotations where-ever image is displayed
- add links in image annotations
- [[image:foo|thumb]] floats right, which it shouldn't
- margin around description on image page
- image upload: Destination: Image page title v Destination filename
- image upload: "." is not a rec image file fmt
- Image page created w/o image uploaded and w/o image extension?
- uploader to commons or wikisource: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Tools
- rename images
- add format buttons to image upload page
- allow images to be resized when added via the Images section of a page
- place renaming: redistrct checkbox merges, adds also-located-in
- add township pages (see discussion on WeRelate talk:ToDo List)
- add cemeteries. See this page for a brief summary of reasons to create a Cemetery namespace. -- this seems worth considering; I want to think more about this one because we currently have cemeteries as both places and sources--Dallan 13:05, 5 March 2010 (EST)
- Don't allow people to create top-level place pages
- run place matcher daily; output if differences
- Add Source Citation capability to place pages.
- place: ?-tip on entering lat+long
- add "who lived here link" -> search exact
- don't show place twice under the same heading on the located-in page
- fix bug with manual place redirecting
- fix bug with updating contained places with apostrophes
- display full name, birthdate for person pages in category lists
- Rewrite category pages so you can filter by namespace
- blue category links if there are pages in category?
- generate a list of categories in outline format -- If the system can generate a list of created surnames, why can't it create a list of created categories? Ah, but creating a list of created categories in outline format, not alpha, may be another thing altogether. Wish list! If we had this to see or check, maybe we wouldn't create duplicates.--Janiejac 15:45, 22 January 2010 (EST)
- Can this be a part of the MediaWiki upgrade by installing the CategoryTree Extension? --Jennifer (JBS66) 12:22, 17 March 2010 (EDT) -- Good idea--Dallan 00:36, 18 March 2010 (EDT)
- Allow Trees/Tags/Categories/Whatever-it-is be defined using set operations: Instead of my HansenWatson tree having to entirely overlap the Hansen and Watson trees, allow HansenWatson to be defined as HansenWatson <- Hansen UNION Watson. Or Watson <- HansenWatson - Hansen. And so on....
- Fix bug where places that are renamed are put into the wrong automatically-generated category --Jennifer (JBS66) 11:21, 9 February 2011 (EST)
- Link to famous people
- browse tree special page
- Export multiple trees into a single gedcom
- you should be able to list trees or show duplicates for anyone
- Modify tree delete behavior (what's this mean?) -- this means that when someone deletes their gedcom, we don't delete people who are ancestors of people who other users are watching. So if I have "Son Doe" and "Father Doe" in my tree, you and I are both watching "Son Doe", but only I am watching "Father Doe", if I delete my tree, "Father Doe" won't get deleted because he's an ancestor of "Son Doe", who you are watching.
- share tree link: FTE to root w user and tree default
- add a tool for relation calculating such as Geneanet has:
- http://gw0.geneanet.org/index.php3?b=bergsmit&lang=nl&pz=jacobus+frederik+theodorus&nz=bergman&ocz=1&em=R&ep=winston&en=churchill&select=32362&m=NG&n=van+Oranje-Nassau&t=N&et=S&color=&x=19&y=13 --Fred Bergman 13:04, 24 August 2010 (EDT)
- Allow no tree to be checked in tree management screens to remove pages from trees and watchlist en masse
- Add tool to highlight path in FTE from current position to desire position to guide navigation
- display "source type" for sources in search results
- add givenname/surname search form to main page
- name search should look up all alternatives on all name pages
- limit the number of pages an alt name can appear on
- index uploaded PDF, Word, etc. files
- remove spurious colons from search; eg wardwell : a brief sketch
- automatically expand st/ste/sts abbreviations for place names in the search engine
- Ensure at least one date is returned in search results (if any dates are available):
- If no birth date and there is a christening date, display the christening date
- If no death date and there is a burial date, display the burial date
- Display marriage date for each Spouse – I’d like to see what it looks like if displayed immediately before the names (after the label “Spouse:”), as I believe it might provide a quicker-than-reading visual cue to distinguish spouses from parents (except, of course, when there is no date). It is surprising the number of times I confuse parents with spouses in a search result, even though I am perfectly capable of reading the labels (I think my mind blanks out the labels because they are greyed-out).
- If no birth, christening, death, burial or marriage dates, display any other date available in the record (eg., baptism, living, occupation) --DataAnalyst 15:34, 30 December 2010 (EST)
- import a list (spreadsheet) of people
- match on people, not just families
- spot addresses, emails, phone numbers and add warnings
- exclude gedcom/ftw mysources from import
- link to user page from gedcom review page
- don't match if years are over 40 years apart.
- match sources during GEDCOM upload
- start with ancestry sources (_APID nnnn tag) and US census sources
- double-check that the page still exists before showing the potential match.
- Remove email addresses that have "snuck in" on pages created by GEDCOM uploads, also remove phone numbers, postal addresses.
- parse names like "John /Jackson/, Rev. better in gedcom upload
- exclude people with no names or events linked to 0 or 1 families during upload
- can't unexclude living
- print warnings list
- auto-exclude pre-1500 death; pre-1450 birth in gedcom upload
- you can't uncheck living unless there's something in the death/burial fields
- you can't uncheck exclude unless the person is marked not living
- children without birthdates upload in the same order
- convert LNU and FNU and MNU to unknown
- international name handling in GEDCOM upload --User:DFree (see discussion)
- Sparta XML for gedcom upload
- accept zip, gz for gedcom uploads
Semi-protected pages can't be edited during GEDCOM upload; only during normal on-line editing
- semi-protect template to allow anyone to semi-protect the page
- don't semi-protect based upon # watchers, but on some other criteria
- can't delete semi-protected pages
- semi-protect family pages keeps people from adding people to that family
- semi-protect all pre-1500 people
- Help:Templates should include a list of useful templates
- update videos
- Video for GedReview
- tutorials: leave a message; copyrights - what can I upload?
- Admin guide: image sizes; P/F titles; explain why - just guidelines