Whitfield is a village in the county of Northumberland, England about 10 miles (16 km) southwest of Hexham. It has a farming community and is set against beautiful scenic background; sometimes it has been called "Little Switzerland".
Whitfield Hall is the home of the Blackett-Ord family. The Manor of Whitfield was granted, in the 12th century, by William, King of Scotland, to the Whitfield family, who retained it until 1750 when it was sold to William Ord of Fenham. When a later William Ord died in 1855, the estate fell to his son's widow and then to her heir, her niece, who married Rev John Blackett, a son of Christopher Blackett of Wylam. As a condition of the marriage and inheritance he changed his name to Blackett-Ord.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Whitfield, Northumberland.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Whitfield from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Whitfield was an ancient parish and a civil parish until 1955 when it was abolished to form the new civil parish of Plenmellor with Whitfield. From 1894 until 1955 the parish was part of Haltwhistle Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the civil parish of Plenmellor with Whitfield. Whitfield had no subsidiary townships.