- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon is a civil parish in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 308. It consists of the small villages of Brookthorpe and Whaddon, both to the south of Gloucester.
Whaddon is almost contiguous with the Gloucester suburb of Tuffley, while Brookthorpe is one mile (1.5 km) further south, on the other side of the M5 motorway and close to the escarpment of the Cotswold hills.
In 1935 Whaddon was abolished as a parish with its area divided between the City of Gloucester and Brookthorpe. The parish was simply known as Brookthorpe until 1956 when it was renamed Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon.
To the north of the parish is the unparished area of the City of Gloucester. Parishes adjoining Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon are: Upton St. Leonards to the north-east; Painswick to the east; Harescombe to the south; Haresfield to the south-west; and Quedgeley to the west. The last is in Gloucester District, the others are in Stroud District.
Gloucester (1837 - 1935) for Whaddon
Wheatenhurst (1837 - 1937) for Brookthorpe
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1956) for Brookthorpe (including Whaddon)
Gloucester Rural (1956 - 1974) for the parish of Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- The FamilySearch wiki states that Brookthorpe, Gloucestershire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
- Sources for Whaddon are found in [[Category:Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon, Gloucestershire, England]] or under "What links here" on the left.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Stroud (district), Gloucestershire, England | Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Wheatenhurst Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England