- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Since 1974 Tuffley has been one of the 15 wards and a suburb of the City of Gloucester in the county of Gloucestershire. The ward is non-parished and situated near Robinswood Hill toward the south of the city. Recorded as Tuffley, Tufley, Tufly, Tuffel, Tuffill and possibly others, this suburb was once a village mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as 'Tuffelege', which suggests a meaning of Tuffa's farm, with Tuffa being an Anglo-Saxon personal name. To this was added the suffix 'leah', meaning a fenced enclosure or farm.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tuffley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TUFFLEY, a hamlet in St. Mary-de-Lode parish, Gloucestershire; 2 miles SSE of Gloucester. Real property: £2,082. Population: 138. Houses: 34."
In 1900 the parish of Tuffley was abolished and the area was divided between the parishes of Gloucester, Whaddon, and Quedgeley. Lower Tuffley was moved into the Parish of Quedgeley. Tuffley as described as a ward of Gloucester above is that part which was moved into the city in 1900.
Gloucester Registration District (1837 - 1900)
For later registrations refer to the parishes of Gloucester, Whaddon and Quedgeley; for church entries, see Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (district), Gloucestershire, England | Tuffley, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England | Brookthorpe-with-Whaddon, Gloucestershire, England | Quedgeley, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester St. Mary-de-Lode, Gloucestershire, England