- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Waverton is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It lies about 5 km south east of Chester. It is almost continuous with the village of Rowton to the north west and that in turn is almost, but not quite, continuous with Christleton. The Shropshire Union Canal (originally Chester Canal) runs through the middle of Waverton. According to the 2001 Census, the population was 1,560 living in 660 households.
Waverton was an ancient parish in the Broxton Hundred and included the townships of Hatton and Huxley and the the hamlets of Brown Heath (part), Egg Bridge, Greenlooms (redirected to Foulk Stapleford) and Milners Heath. The population was 246 in 1801, 357 in 1851, 384 in 1901, 476 in 1951, and 1560 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.