Place:Hatton (near Warrington), Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameHatton (near Warrington)
Alt namesHatton (near Runcorn)source: GENUKI
Etunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 53
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates53.338°N 2.604°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoRuncorn, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Warrington (metropolitan borough), Cheshire, Englandmetropolitan borough covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


NOTE: There is a second Hatton in Cheshire. It is located further south in the Cheshire West and Chester unitary authority near the town of Tarporley.

the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Hatton is a civil parish and a village in Warrington in Cheshire, England, located to the south of Warrington town centre. It lies on the B5356 road between the villages of Daresbury and Stretton.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hatton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HATTON, a township in Runcorn parish, Cheshire; near the Bridgewater canal and the Grand Junction railway, 3 miles NNW of Frodsham. Acres: 1,020. Real property: £2,783; of which £52 are in quarries. Population: 357. Houses: 79. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley."

Hatton was a township in Daresbury chapelry of Runcorn ancient parish, Bucklow Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 241 in 1801, 377 in 1851, 319 in 1901, 362 in 1951, and 316 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI) GENUKI describes the parish as Hatton (near Runcorn).


Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Hatton, Warrington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.