- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Christleton is a small village and civil parish on the outskirts of Chester since 2009 located in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The 2001 Census recorded a population for the entire civil parish of 2,112. The Shropshire Union Canal (originally the Chester Canal) passes through the village.
Christleton Old Hall is a former country house in the village and a Grade II* listed building. It dates from the 17th century and was built for a member of the Egerton family of Tatton Park.
The Anglican church is dedicated to St James and the current building was designed by William Butterfield and was consecrated in 1877. The church's continuous list of clergy dates back to 1215.
Until 1866 Christleton was an ancient parish within Broxton Hundred and included the townships of Cotton-Abbotts, Cotton-Edmunds, Littleton and Rowton.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.