- source: Family History Library Catalog
Warden is a village in Northumberland, England about 2 miles (3 km) west of Hexham. The rivers North Tyne and South Tyne actually meet near the village of Warden. The parish had a population of 603 at the UK census of 2011.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Warden, Northumberland.
Warden was an ancient parish in the Tynedale Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Warden became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Warden from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WARDEN, a parish in Hexham [registration] district, Northumberland; at the confluence of the rivers North Tyne and South Tyne, and near Fourstones [railway] station, 3¼ miles WNW of Hexham. Post town: Hexham. Acres: 3,122. Real property: £4,679; of which £103 are in mines. Population: 716. Houses: 127. The property is subdivided. Lime and coal are worked; and there is a paper-mill. A circular camp is at High [Warden]; and a petrifying well is near the North Tyne. The living is a vicarage, united with Newbrough and Haydon-Bridge, in the diocese of Durham. The church is partly early English, partly of 1763 and 1805."
Townships in parish
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.