|Alt names||Fourstones||source: from redirect|
|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Warden, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Haydon, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Newbrough is a village in Northumberland, England, on the north bank of the River South Tyne about 5 miles (8 km) west of Hexham. It had a population of 561 in the UK census of 2011.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Newbrough.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newbrough from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWBROUGH, or Newburgh, a parish, with a village, in Hexham [registration] district, Northumberland; on the South Tyne river, and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, near the Roman wall, 1 mile W by N of Four-stones [railway] station, and 5 W N W of Hexham. It has a post-office under Hexham. Acres: 6,705. Real property: £6,659; of which £1,400 are in miles. Population in 1851: 551; in 1861: 703. Houses: 136. The increase of population arose from the opening of new lead mines, and from increase of employment in the quarrying of freestone, and in the calcining of limestone. The S part, adjacent to the Tyne, is a rich tract; but the other parts are chiefly moorish upland. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Warden, in the diocese of Durham. The church is a neat stone building, with a tower. There are a United Free Methodist chapel, a mechanics' institute, and a national school."
Newbrough was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Warden and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was mostly absorbed into the parish of Haydon.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Newbrough, Northumberland, England | Warden, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Haydon, Northumberland, England