NOTE: References to Toxteth have been re-directed here. Toxteth Park was the original name of the distict.
From Picture of Liverpool: Strangers' Guide written in 1834
- "Toxteth Park forms the southern boundary to Liverpool, and was a Royal forest until the second year of the reign of James Ist, when it was conferred with a grant of the crown on two citizens of London, Ralph Willey, merchant tailor, and Thomas Dodd grocer, who on the 6th March 1605 bestowed it on Richard Molyneux, an ancestor of the present Earl of Sefton. This mode of conveyance is supposed to have then been adopted in consequence of the grantee being a Catholic.
- "Toxteth Park is cited in the Doomsday Book as being one virgate of land and half a carracute, then valued at four shillings, and held by Stainulf.
- "In 1346 it was let to the Molyneux family for £17 per annum. And subsequently, in the year 1593 Queen Elizabeth conferred this park on Henry Earl of Derby, and his heirs male: but it afterwards reverted to the crown, in consequence, it is supposed of a failure of such heirs.
- "The old chapel which has long been in the possession of the Presbyterians, is mentioned in a survey made by order of the parliament during the Commonwealth: and a Mr Huggin an episcopal minister is stated to have been the incumbent at that time, and that he received the tithes of the park, which were then valued at £45 per annum, besides £10 per year which were allowed him by the rector of Walton.
- "In the year 1815 a church was erected here in the Gothic style of architecture and was dedicated to St Michael. It stands in a delightful situation, and is a pleasing and picturesque object, being seen to advantage from different places on the Cheshire coast as well as from various parts of the river.
- "This district but particularly that part of it called Harrington is now become very populous. Many new buildings have lately been erected and the population according to the last census in 1831 was 24,067."
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Toxteth is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Liverpool, in Merseyside, England, and is a Liverpool City Council ward. Before 1974 it was in Lancashire. Toxteth is located to the south of the city and is bordered by Liverpool City Centre, Dingle, Edge Hill, Wavertree and Aigburth.
The district lies within the borders of the ancient township of Toxteth Park. Industry and commerce are confined to the docks on its western border and a few streets running off Parliament Street. Toxteth is primarily residential, with a mixture of old terraced housing, post-World War II social housing and a legacy of large Victorian houses.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, as Liverpool expanded the ancient park of Toxteth was gradually urbanised. Large Georgian houses were built in the Canning area, followed in the Victorian era by more grand houses, especially along the tree-lined Prince's Road/Avenue boulevard and around Prince's Park. The district quickly became home to the wealthy merchants of Liverpool, alongside a much larger poor population in modest Victorian terraces. Now, some of these streets of terraces are boarded up, awaiting demolition.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Toxteth.