Tilmanstone is a small village in Kent, in the southeast of England, near Eastry which is a much bigger and more developed area. The name of Tilmanstone has historically been famous for its colliery, although the colliery is actually located in the village of Eythorne, and operated from 1906 to 1986 as one of the four main pits of the Kent coalfield.
The yew tree in the churchyard has been dated to more than 1,200 years, so it is likely that it is older than anything else in the village. The manors of Dane Court, South Court, and North Court form the foundation of the ancient village. The Kent Archaeological Society transcription of 1922 included the North Court and South Court Manor Court Rolls held in the Library of Lambeth Palace. These rolls cover the years 1753–1789. St. Andrew's Parish Church includes the Tilmanstone Brass, which recognized Richard Fogge circa 1482 and features a point perspective with three-dimensional figures, something that at the time was only popular in Florence.