Eythorne is a civil parish and small village of about 1,000 homes, located 7.3 miles NNW of Dover in Kent. There are currently about 2,500 residents. Although not classed as one of the former pit villages of Kent, it was however situated approximately one mile from Tilmanstone - which closed in 1986. Today many of its residents commute to work in Dover (Docks), or in Canterbury.
There are regular buses to Dover and Canterbury which is about 13 miles away, there is also a train station 3 miles away at the nearby village of Shepherdswell where trains operate between Dover and London to both St Pancras and Victoria stations via Canterbury.
Eythorne Baptist Church is more than 450 years old and one of the first Baptist churches in the UK. Esther Copley, wife of William Copley, who was minister in Eythorne from about 1839 to 1843, was a prolific and successful writer of children's books and books on domestic economy. She died in the village in 1851.
Eythorne once had three pubs, The Crown is still trading, however the White Horse and the Palm Tree are long closed, both now being residential properties.
Eythorne is in historically set in two halves, Lower Eythorne where the Church of England and Roman Catholic churches are situated, and Upper Eythorne which is where the village shop and the Crown public house are located, this is also where most of today's villagers live. Many reside in the small housing developments that sprang up in the late 1960s and early '70s.