- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Barfrestone is a hamlet in East Kent, UK between Shepherdswell, Eythorne and Nonington and close to the pit villages of Elvington and Snowdown.
Alternative spellings are Barfreston and Barfreystone. Old English pronunciation - "Barson" (before 1800) and antient name "Barfriston".
Now known as "Bar-fre-ston", rather than "Bar-fre-stone".
At the time of the Doomsday Book, the manor was owned by Odo, Earl of Kent (as the Bishop of Bayeux). But after his trial (for fraud) in 1076. His assets were re-apportioned including Barfrestone. The lands were then granted to 'Hugh de Port' (an English feudal barony) for the defence of Dover castle. The lands passed through many other owners including Sir Thomas Browne (during Henry VI of England reign).
Of note are the tiny Grade I listed Norman church, complete with internationally famous carvings around the door. The bell in the adjacent yew tree, and the offices and workshops of L'Arche Kent Community.
Another listed building in the village is the Grade II listed Barfrestone Court,
The village is also on the Miner's Way Trail. The trail links up the coalfield parishes of East Kent.
Barfrestone was a parish in the Eastry Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when it was absorbed by the neighbouring parish of Eythorne. The expanded parish continued to be known as Eythorne. Since 1974 the whole area is part of the non-metropolitan Dover District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):