Stanmore, also known as Great Stanmore, is one of the ancient parishes of Middlesex. In 1894 Stanmore became part of Hendon Rural District. In 1934 the parish of Stanmore was abolished, becoming part of Harrow Urban District. Harrow Urban District became a Municipal Borough in 1954, which in turn became the London Borough of Harrow in 1965.
Stanmore is a suburban area of the London Borough of Harrow, in northwest London. It is situated northwest of Charing Cross. The area is home to Stanmore Hill, one of the highest points of London, high.