Place:Snave, Kent, England

Watchers
NameSnave
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.034°N 0.8695°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoAloesbridge Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was part located
Newchurch Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Ham Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was part located
Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, Englandfurther ancient county division in which it was located
Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Shepway District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Snave is a very small hamlet on Romney Marsh in Kent, England centred close to the A2070 road 8 miles (13 km) south of Ashford. Its buildings are a few houses, barns and store sheds and the church of St Augustine which holds one service per year at harvest festival. In spring, the churchyard is heavily clad in daffodils. The church falls under the ecumenical/ecclesiastical (Anglican/Methodist) parish of Hamstreet and Orlestone but the modern civil parish administering local services is Brenzett.

The nearest shops and railway station are at Hamstreet (3 miles) save for a petrol station at Brenzett (2 miles).

Animals have along been part of the economy. Sheep tending and wool manufacture is a major part of the history of Romney Marsh. Veterinary practices and a boarding cattery are among the local businesses.

Snave was originally an ancient parish in Aloesbridge Hundred and also in Ham Hundred, the Newchurch Hundred and the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Romney Marsh Rural District. In 1934 it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Brenzett with a small portion going to the parish of Newchurch. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Borough of Shepway.

Research tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Snave. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.