|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Aloesbridge Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Newchurch Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Worth Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Shepway District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Newchurch is now a village and civil parish in the Shepway District in Kent, England. The village is located on the Romney Marsh, 3 miles (4.8 km) west of Dymchurch.
During the Second World War it was home to an RAF airfield, RAF Newchurch, that operated Hawker Tempest fighter aircraft under Wing Commander Roland Beamont which participated in the defence of the UK against the German V-1 flying bomb offensive of 1944. A Chain Home coastal radar station was also located there.
The parish church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The ecclesiastical parish forms part of the Romney Deanery of the Maidstone archdeaconry of the Diocese of Canterbury.
Newchurch was originally an ancient parish in Aloesbridge Hundred. It was also considered to be in the Newchurch Hundred, the St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, the Worth Hundred and also in the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Romney Marsh Rural District. In 1934 the parish was enlarged by absorbing parts or all of a number of neighbouring parishes including Appledore, Bilsington, Blackmanstone, and Hope All Saints. Often these parishes had detached parts and the alterations led to more unified parishes.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Census records for Kent are available on FamilySearch, Ancestry and FindMyPast. The first site is free; the other two are pay sites but have access to microfilmed images. Steve Archer produced a very useful round-up of the available sources, but this information may not be up to date.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911 The full database from Kent Archives Office, Maidstone, has been available online from FamilySearch since June 2016.
- Kent had five family history societies (now only four):
Categories: Kent, England | Newchurch, Kent, England | Newchurch Hundred, Kent, England | Aloesbridge Hundred, Kent, England | St. Martin Ivychurch Hundred, Kent, England | Worth Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Rural, Kent, England | Shepway District, Kent, England