- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Rudford is a village and civil parish which since 1974 has been part of the Forest of Dean District of Gloucestershire, England. It is located approximately 4 miles north-west of Gloucester and 5 miles from Newent. The local church is dedicated to St. Mary.
A part of the parish was transferred to Highnam Over and Linton in 1883. Subsequently this part of the parish was in Gloucester Rural District. The remainder stayed in Newent Rural District. In 1935 the neighbouring parish of Upleadon was absorbed into Rudford.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Botloe (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Dudstone and Kings Barton (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Newent Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England | Rudford, Gloucestershire, England