- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Upleadon is a village and civil parish situated 10.5 km north-west of the city of Gloucester. Soon after the Norman conquest Upleadon became part of the estates of Gloucester Abbey and was recorded as such in the Domesday Book. Taking advantage of the nearby River Leadon, there was a period when iron forges were a focal point for the community but these were subsequently converted into a flour-mill. The village today extends southwards alongside the river and has a population of 213 according to a Gloucestershire County Council estimate of 2010.
Newent (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county. However, some photographs with captions of Upleadon Church and older houses are available at VCH Archives
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Botloe (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England | Newent Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England