Place:Rennington, Northumberland, England

TypeChapelry, Civil parish
Coordinates55.46°N 1.662°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoEmbleton, Northumberland, Englandancient parish of which it was part
Bamburgh Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient division in which it was located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Broxfield, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Rock, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Stamford, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it absorbed in 1955
Alnwick District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Rennington is a village in Northumberland, England about 4 miles (6 km) north of Alnwick. It was a chapelry in the ancient parish of Embleton. In the UK census of 2011 it had a population of 336.

From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was expanded by the absorbtion of the neighbouring parishes of Broxfield, Rock and Stamford. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Rennington became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Rennington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"RENNINGTON, a township-chapelry in Embleton parish, Northumberland; ¾ of a mile W by N of Little Mill [railway] station, and 3¾ N E by N of Alnwick. Post-town, Chathill. Acres: 1,812. Rated property: £1,680. Population: 263. Houses: 51. The property belongs to the Duke of Northumberland. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value: £86. Patron: the Vicar of Embleton. The church is recent; and was preceded by an ancient chapel, originally connected with Lindisfarne priory. There is a national school."

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Rennington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.