- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Ramsbottom is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury, Greater Manchester, England. Historically within Lancashire, it is situated on the course of the River Irwell, in the West Pennine Moors. It is located north-northwest of Bury, and north-northwest of Manchester.
The name Ramsbottom is believed to derive from the Old English ramm and botm, meaning "valley of the ram". Ramsbottom is described as a "thriving market town in spectacular surroundings".
Its Victorian architecture, Pennine landscape, industrial heritage and the East Lancashire Railway contribute to heritage tourism in the town.
The northernmost part of Ramsbottom stayed within Lancashire in 1974 and was transferred to Rossendale municipal district.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Ramsbottom from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "RAMSBOTTOM, a small town and a chapelry in Bury parish, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Irwell and on the East Lancashire railway, 4 miles N of Bury; was the place where the first Sir Robert Peel established calico-printing; [it] carries on cotton spinning, calico-printing, machine-making, rope-making, and iron and brass founding; is governed by a local board, under the act of 1858; and has a post-office‡ under Manchester, a railway-station with telegraph, a commodious inn, a police station, a church, four dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a public school, an athenæum, a public library, and an Odd Fellows' hall.
- "The church was built in 1850, at a cost of £3,400; was enlarged shortly before 1868; is in the early English style; and has amemorial window to the late Lord Palmerston, and a tower and spire. The Presbyterian chapel was built in 1834; is a handsome edifice, in the pointed style; and has a lofty pinnacled tower. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Population in 1861: 4,134. Houses: 798. The living is a [perpetual] curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop."