NOTE: The village of Walmersley, the hamlet of Shuttleworth and smaller places named Limefield and Turn have been redirected to this page.
During the Middle Ages, Shuttleworth lay within the township of Walmersley (sometimes called Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth), parish of Bury, and hundred of Salford. Following the Local Government Act 1894, Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth became a civil parish, but in 1933 was dissolved and amalgamated into the Ramsbottom Urban District. (A very small portion went to Bury County Borough.)
Since 1974 Walmersley has been a northern suburban village in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury, Greater Manchester, England. Prior to 1974 Walmersley was in Lancashire.
The A56 (Walmersley Road) links Walmersley with Bury to the south and Shuttleworth, Ramsbottom and Edenfield to the north. Before this 'new' road was built the road north from Bury followed the line of Walmersley Old Road. The old 'coach road' went through Baldingstone and Nangreaves and onto Hardern Moor and beyond to Shuttleworth and Edenfield. Junctions led to the then thriving mills in Deeply Vale and Birtle Dene. The old road was one of the many roads in east Lancashire constructed by John Metcalf, perhaps better known as Blind Jack Metcalf, a civil engineer from Knaresborough, Yorkshire.
Baldingstone House, probably the oldest property in the area, was built in about 1615. In the 17th century the house was home of the Kay family. Indeed it is believed the house was built by Richard Kay a blacksmith with a smithy at Baldingstone. Richard was married to Alice Kay, from Sheephey, Shuttleworth whose brother Robert was the father of John Kay, the inventor of the Flying Shuttle.
Shuttleworth is a hamlet at the northeastern extremity of the Metropolitan Borough of Bury, in Greater Manchester, England. It lies amongst the South Pennines, 4.3 miles (6.9 km) north of Bury and 0.9 miles (1.4 km) south of Edenfield. Effectively a suburb of Ramsbottom, the M66 motorway divides Shuttleworth from the main core of that town. Prior to 1933 it was within Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth civil parish.