- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Publow is a small village in the civil parish of Publow with Pensford in Bath and North East Somerset, England. It lies beside the River Chew in the Chew Valley. It is 7 miles from Bristol, 9 miles from Bath, and 4 miles from Keynsham.
Until 2000 Publow was also the name of the civil parish now known as Publow with Pensford.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Publow., especially the section entitled "History"
- The Publow GENUKI page gives dates of availability of parish records (births, marriages and deaths) and Poor Law Unions.
- The Somerset Heritage Centre (incorporating what was formerly the Somerset Record Office and the Somerset Local Studies Library) can be found at its new location at Langford Mead in Taunton. It has an online search facility leading to pages of interest, including maps from the First and Second Ordnance Survey] (select Maps and Postcards from the list at the left, then enter the parish in the search box).
The Heritage Centre has an email address: email@example.com.
- Old Maps Online has a further selection of local maps. Some of these do not expand sufficiently to identify rural places.
- A History of Britain Online is a compilation of gazetteers which may provide more information about very small places which are missing from Wikipedia. In the case of Somerset it refers to A History of the County of Somerset by R. W. Dunning (editor), published as part of the Victoria County History series in 2006.
- source: Family History Library Catalog