Place:Perranzabuloe, Cornwall, England

Watchers
NamePerranzabuloe
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates50.326°N 5.133°W
Located inCornwall, England
See alsoPyder Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
Truro Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Truro Registration District, Cornwall, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-2007
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Perranzabuloe (Cornish: Pyran yn Treth) is a coastal civil parish and a hamlet in Cornwall, England. The hamlet (containing the parish church) is situated just over a mile (2 km) south of the principal settlement of the parish, Perranporth; the hamlet is also seven miles (11 km) south-southwest of Newquay. Other settlements in the parish include Bolingey, Perrancoombe, Penwartha, Goonhavern, Lanhargy, Carnkief, Rose, Wheal Frances, Mount and Callestick.

Perranzabuloe parish is bordered to the west by the Atlantic coast and St. Agnes (near Redruth) parish, to the north by Cubert parish, to the east by Newlyn East and St. Allen parishes and to the south by Kenwyn parish. The parish population was 5,382 in the 2001 UK census.

In medieval times the parish of Perranzabuloe was a peculiar of Exeter Cathedral. Perranzabuloe at that time exercised ecclesiastic control of St. Agnes: the latter's church was a chapelry of Perranzabuloe. In 1846 St. Agnes became a separate ecclesiastical parish.

Perranzabuloe was a civil parish in of the Truro Rural District from 1894 until 1974.

Chiverton

Southwest of Zelah (St. Allen parish) but in Perranzabuloe parish is Chyverton House and its grounds. Nearby was a notable lead mine called West Chiverton Mine which produced 45,100 tons of lead ore in the period 1859–86. There were seven more less successful mines which also included "Chiverton" in their names. West Chiverton Mine had an 80 inch pumping engine; in 1870 it had a workforce of 1000 and a main shaft over 700 ft deep but the mine closed in 1886.

Research Tips

One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.

The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.

  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Perranzabuloe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.