|Alt names||St Newlyn East||source: Wikipedia from 1982|
|Newlyn||source: A Vision of Britain through Time|
|Newlyn (near St. Columb-Major)||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Town, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1934|
|Truro Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1834-1974|
|St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1936|
|Truro Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1936-2007|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There are two places names Newlyn in Cornwall. This one has been called Newlyn East here in WeRelate, but is named St Newlyn East in Wikipedia and, simply, Newlyn in A Vision of Britain through Time. It is situated on the north coast near Newquay.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
St Newlyn East (Cornish: Eglosniwlin) is a civil parish and village in Cornwall, England. The village is situated approximately three miles (5 km) south of Newquay. The name St Newlyn East is locally abbreviated to Newlyn East. The parish is named after the patron saint of the church, St Newlina, and the population was 1,390 in the 2001 UK census.
On 9 July 1846 a disaster at the East Wheal Rose mine was caused by an unusually heavy thunderstorm which flooded the mine. Thirty-nine of the miners (mainly inhabitants of the village and its immediate vicinity) were drowned. The mine was eventually closed in 1881.
Newlyn East was part of the St. Austell Rural District from 1894 until 1934 and located in Truro Rural District from 1934 until 1974. Its name was officially changed to St. Newlyn East in 1982. (Source: GENUKI)
19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newlyn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWLYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Columb district, Cornwall. The village stands on elevated ground, under Newlyn Down, 7½ miles S W of St. Columb Major, and 8 W N W of Grampound-Road [railway] station; was once a market-town; is now a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Grampound-Road, Cornwall, and a fair on 8 Nov. The parish contains also the ancient manor of Cargol, and part of the disfranchised borough of Mitchell. Acres: 8,010. Real property: £9,966; of which £1,775 are in mines. Population in 1851: 2,152; in 1861: 1,641. Houses, 337. The decrease of population was caused by the closing of mines.
- "The manor and most of the land belong to Sir Thomas D. Acland, Bart., Viscount Falmouth, the Bishop of Exeter, and H. T. Hawkins, Esq. Cargol belonged to Bodmin priory, passed to the Bishops of Exeter, and had an Episcopal palace. Trerice was the seat of Lord John Arundell, who defended Pendennis Castle when he was 80 years of age; and is now represented by only a fragment. Newlyn House belongs to Sir T. D. Acland; is an interesting ancient mansion; and was recently restored. Tresilianis the seat of R. G. Bennett, Esq. Treludra belonged to the Borlases. The surface is hilly, and partly intersected by deep vales. The rocks include slate, limestone, and lead ore. East Huel Rose was one of the largest lead mines in Cornwall, and yielded about 40 ounces of silver per ton of ore. There are several chalybeate springs. Several barrows are on the hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £380. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, cruciform, and spacious; has, at various periods, been much altered by repairs and reconstructions; was re-roofed in 1846; has an embattled and pinnacled tower; and contains some old carvings, and monuments of the Arundells. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bryanites, an endowed school with £5 a year, and charities £37.
- "The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 20, 117. Population, 3, 593. Houses, 731."
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | Pyder Hundred, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Rural, Cornwall, England | Truro Rural, Cornwall, England | Newlyn East, Cornwall, England | St. Columb Major Registration District, Cornwall, England | Truro Registration District, Cornwall, England
Help fund new features!