Place:Oxney, Kent, England

Watchers
NameOxney
TypeCivil parish, Hamlet
Coordinates51.1696°N 1.353°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoDover Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Dover (district), Kent, Englanddistrict municipality which has covered the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Oxney from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"OXNEY, a parish in Dover district, Kent; near the Deal and Dover railway, 2 miles N by W of St. Margaret-at-Cliffe, and 5½ N E by W of Dover. Post-town, St. Margaret-at-Cliffe, under Dover. Acres: 313. Population: 12. Houses: 3. Oxney Court is the seat of W. J. Banks, Esq. There is no church."

Oxney was a civil parish in Dover Rural District from 1894 until 1974 and since 1974 is covered by the Dover non-metropolitan District. Oxney parish is not located on the Isle of Oxney which is further west, beyond Dover. The description given by Wilson's Gazetteer better fits a village named Martin and its railway station, Martin's Mill, as described in Wikipedia.

Research Tips

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!