East Langdon was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The word Langdon goes back to Old English, meaning long hill. The first reference to the village, in 861, mentions one Langandune, but a reference in 1291 mentions Estlangedoun and Westlangedone, the latter village of West Langdon being located about one mile to the north west.
East Langdon was a civil parish in Dover Rural District from 1894 until 1963 when it was combined with West Langdon into the civil parish of Langdon. Since 1974 the area has been part of the Dover non-metropolitan District.