|Alt names||Sopeberie||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 114|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Grumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1835-1974|
|South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority of which it has been part since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Old Sodbury is a small village and civil parish in the valley of the River Frome just below and to the west of the Cotswold escarpment and to the east of Chipping Sodbury and Yate in South Gloucestershire within the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, England. It is situated in the area once known as the Hundred of Grumbald's Ash. The village extends from Chipping Sodbury in the west to the Cotswold Edge in the east and is on the Cotswold Way. The Badminton road (A432) winds eastwards through the village, up to its junction with the A46, which runs along the top of the Cotswold escarpment from Bath to Stroud.
The village lies on an old coaching route, and is much more ancient than its westerly neighbour, Chipping Sodbury: hence the name 'Old' Sodbury. Since 1946 Old Sodbury and Chipping Sodbury have been one parish named Sodbury.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Old Sodbury.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Grumbalds Ash (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Avon, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Old Sodbury, Gloucestershire, England