Yate is a town and civil parish in South Gloucestershire, England, at the southwest extremity of the Cotswold Hills, 12 miles (19 km) northeast of the city of Bristol. Yate developed from a village into a sizable town from the 1960s onwards, partly as an overspill or commuter town for the city of Bristol. Although not a New Town in the official sense, Yate took on many of the characteristics of one. At the 2011 census the population was 21,603. The town of Chipping Sodbury (population 5,045) is contiguous with Yate to the east. In addition, a large southern section of the built-up area spills over into the parish of Dodington (population 8,206), and so the total population of Yate's urban area is now approaching 35,000.
The town's parish church, St Mary's, dates from Norman times. It was altered during the fifteenth century and was extensively restored in 1970. St Mary's Primary School, situated outside the churchyard walls, was built on the site of a former poor house.
It was the opening of the railway station in 1844, as part of Bristol and Gloucester Railway, that established Yate, with Station Road becoming the central thoroughfare. The cattle and produce markets were held around this road, and businesses were established there.
During World War II, a rail transfer yard was constructed for the United States Army, probably as part of Operation Bolero to assist the buildup of troops and stores before D-Day. Two large storage sheds survived on the site until 2008.
At the end of World War II, the site was taken over by the Royal Navy and became known as the Sea Transport Stores Depot. It was occupied by the Highways Agency until the sheds were demolished for development.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Yate.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Yate from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: