- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Mickleton, with a population of 1551 (census of 1991), is the northernmost village in Gloucestershire, England. Mickleton lies close to the county borders with Worcestershire and Warwickshire. It is noted for its market gardening and vegetable growing.
The village lies 8 miles south of Stratford-upon-Avon at the western edge of the Cotswold escarpment in the Vale of Evesham. Chipping Campden lies 3 miles to the south.
Mickleton was in Campden Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was broken up and the majority of it (including Mickleton) was transferred to the newly-formed and larger North Cotswold Rural District.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Mickleton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MICKLETON, a village and a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour and county of Gloucester. The village stands 2 miles W of the boundary with Warwick, 2½ N by E of Chipping-Campden [railway] station, and 6½ WNW of Shipston-on-Stour; and has a post office under Moreton-in-Marsh. The parish contains also the hamlets of Clopton and Hidcote-Bartrim. Acres: 3,766. Real property: £9,082. Population: 743. Houses: 163. The manor belongs to Sir John M. Steele-Graves, Bart.; and the Manor House, a noble building in the Tudor style, is Sir John's seat. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £200. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is partly Norman, partly pointed; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire; and contains monuments to the Steele and the Graves families. There are an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £209. Graves, the author of the "Spiritual Quixote, and Keck, the lawyer, were natives."
On the map of 1900 Hidcote Bartrim and Clopton are separate parishes. On the map of 1943 Clopton is part of Mickleton parish and Hidcote Bartrim is part of Ebrington parish.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Mickleton, Gloucestershire, England | Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England | North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England