Place:Marholm, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameMarholm
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Coordinates52.6°N 0.3°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England     ( - 1965)
Also located inSoke of Peterborough, England     (1889 - 1965)
Huntingdon and Peterborough, England     (1965 - 1974)
Cambridgeshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoPeterborough Rural, Soke of Peterborough, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Peterborough District, Cambridgeshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority of which it has been part since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Marholm is a civil parish in the City of Peterborough administrative district of Cambridgeshire.

The chancel at the parish church of St. Mary the Virgin, Marholm was re-built by Sir William Fitzwilliam of Milton Hall towards the end of the pre-Reformation period.

Until 1965 Marholm was located in the the Soke of Peterborough. After mergers in 1965 and 1974 the county became part of Cambridgeshire. It was part of the Peterborough Rural District until 1974.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Marholm from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MARHOLM, a parish in Peterborough district, Northampton; adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 4½ miles NW by N of Peterborough [railway] station. Post town, Peterborough. Acres: 1,790. Real property: £1,534. Population: 172. Houses: 33. The property belongs chiefly to the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value: £311. Patron: the Hon. G. W. Fitzwilliam. The church is partly Norman, partly early English, partly later English; consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower; and contains monuments of the Fitzwilliams. There are alms houses with £14 a year."

Research Tips

  • If you are researching anyone whose lifetime preceded (or even mostly preceded) 1889 the places in which he or she lived are going to be in Northamptonshire rather than the Soke of Peterborough. The Soke of Peterborough was actually a section of Northamptonshire.
  • Original historical documents relating to the Soke of Peterborough are held by Cambridgeshire Archives and Local Studies at the County Record Office in Peterborough.
  • GENUKI does not provide webpages for the Soke of Peterborough and its provision for Northamptonshire is very limited.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages on Northamptonshire (including the Soke of Peterborough).
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from 1889 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions.
  • Map of Northamptonshire in 1900 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time shows the Soke of Peterborough (not labelled as such) in the top right hand corner.
  • Map of Northamptonshire divisions (including the Soke of Peterborough) in 1944 produced by UK Ordnance Survey and provided online by A Vision of Britain through Time
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Marholm. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.