Ludworth civil parish was created in 1896; it had formerly been in the chapelry of Mellor. It was part of Glossop Dale Rural District until 1934 when it was transferred to Chapel-en-le-Frith Rural District. In 1936 it was transferred again, along with Mellor to Marple Urban District in Cheshire. In 1974 Marple Urban District became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport in Greater Manchester.
The civil parish included the village of Marple Bridge and the smaller Mill Brow. Today the name Ludworth is not often used for the area.