Mellor was a civil parish in the county of Derbyshire until 1936, when it was transferred to Marple Urban District in Cheshire. In 1974 it became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport in Greater Manchester.
Mellor, situated between Marple Bridge and New Mills, runs along a tributary of the River Goyt. It extends from the start of the old turnpike road at the boundary of Marple Bridge to the current county boundary with Derbyshire. Mellor no longer has any shops, so people now shop in Marple Bridge, Marple or further afield. The modern village is surrounded by farmland, although with the decline in the farming economy in recent years, much of it is now given over to non-agricultural uses: horses, golf, and a scout camp. A number of farm buildings and Mellor Hall date back to the late 17th century, and were built on ruins of earlier buildings, illustrating the long-standing importance of agriculture to Mellor.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Mellor, Greater Manchester.