- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Longhirst from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "LONGHIRST, a township in Bothal parish, Northumberland; on the Northeastern railway, 2½ miles NE of Morpeth. It has a station on the railway. Acres: 1,703. Population: 253. Houses: 55. Longhirst Hall and Longhirst Grange are chief residences. There are a national school and a reading-room."
According to the Ordnance Survey map of 1900 (see below), Longhirst township was situated between the most northerly part of Ashington and Hebron and northwest of Bothal Demesne. It became a civil parish in 1866. It had a colliery. A Vision of Britain through Time reports that it absorbed the township/civil parish of Oldmoor (to its east) in 1955. Longhirst and Hirst were on opposite sides of Ashington. The above reference is the only one found.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.