Ashington is a town and civil parish in Northumberland, England. With a population of around 27,000, measured at 27,764 at the 2011 Census; it was once a centre of the coal mining industry. The town is located some 15 miles (24 km) north of Newcastle upon Tyne and west of the A189 road. The south of the town is bordered by the River Wansbeck. The North Sea coast at Newbiggin by the Sea is about 3 miles (5 km) from the town centre.
Ashington developed from a small hamlet in the 1840s when the Duke of Portland built housing to encourage people escaping the Irish potato famine to come and work at his nearby collieries. As in many other parts of Britain, "deep pit" coal mining in the area declined during the 1980s and 1990s leaving just one colliery, Ellington which closed in January 2005.
Ashington was created as a civil parish and urban district in 1896 from parts of the townships of Ashington and Sheepwash and Bothal Demesne. In the early 1900s it absorbed North Seaton and Hirst, and in 1935 it absorbed the remaining sections of Ashington and Sheepwash (by then known as Sheepwash) and Bothal Demesne. The urban district survived until 1974, when under the Local Government Act 1972 it became part of the Wansbeck District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Ashington.