|Alt names||Long Benton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish, Urban district|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1912|
|North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Since 1974 Longbenton has been a district of North Tyneside, England. It is largely occupied by an extensive estate originally built as municipal housing by Newcastle City Council in the 1950s and 1960s. It is served by the Tyne and Wear Metro stations: Longbenton Metro and Four Lane Ends Metro. Nearby places are Killingworth, Heaton and Gosforth. Longbenton and Killingworth Urban Area had a population of 34,878 in the 2001 UK census, while Longbenton Ward had a population of 10,617 in the UK census of 2011.
A nineteenth century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Longbenton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BENTON (Long), a township, a parish, and a [registration] subdistrict, in the [registration] district of Tynemouth, Northumberland. The township lies on the Northeastern railway, and on the Blyth and Tyne railway, near the Roman wall, 3 miles NNE of Newcastle-upon-Tyne; and has stations on the railways, and a post office under Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The village consists of one long street, and stands on rock, dry, healthy, and pleasant. Population: 2,222. Houses: 472.
- "The parish includes also the townships of Walker, Killingworth, and Weetslade: and lies partly on the Tyne. Acres: 9,040; of which 110 are water. Real property: £39,372; of which £12,541 are in mines, £500 in quarries, and £2,000 in iron-works. Population in 1841: 8,711; in 1861: 13,304. Houses: 2,415. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged formerly to the De Merlays; and passed partly to the Brandlings. The inhabitants are employed mainly in extensive collieries, quarries, foundries, copperas-works, and gunpowder-works, The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £353. Patron: Balliol College, Oxford. The church is very good. The vicarage of Walker and the [perpetual] curacy of Killingworth are separate benefices. There are several dissenting chapels, and a national school."
Longbenton was an ancient parish in the Castle Ward of Northumberland which also became a civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District. When the rural district was abolished in 1912 Longbenton became an Urban District. It continued as such until 1974 when the new county of Tyne and Wear replaced the area around Newcastle upon Tyne in Northumberland. It then became part of the North Tyneside metropolitan district.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.