Little Warford civil parish was created in 1951 when the civil parish of Marthall-cum-Warford was abolished and divided into two parts: Little Warford and Marthall civil parishes. It was in Bucklow Rural District until 1974, after which it was served by Macclesfield Borough Council; this in turn was succeeded on 1 April 2009 by the new unitary authority of Cheshire East.
Marthall-cum-Warford had been a township in Rostherne ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred, and had been created a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1836 to 1895 it had been in Altrincham Poor Law Union, when it was transferred to Bucklow Poor Law Union until 1930. It was also in Altrincham Rural Sanitary District. For the year 1894-1895 it was in Altrincham Rural District before being transferred to Bucklow Rural District for the remainder of its existence.