- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Little Warford is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It had a population of 275 according to the UK census of 2001.
Little Warford civil parish was created in 1951 when the civil parish of Marthall cum Warford was abolished and divided into two parts: Little Warford and Marthall civil parishes. It was in Bucklow Rural District until 1974, after which it was served by Macclesfield Borough Council; this in turn was succeeded on 1 April 2009 by the new unitary authority of Cheshire East.
Marthall cum Warford had been a township in Rostherne ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred, and had been created a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1836 to 1895 it had been in Altrincham Poor Law Union, when it was transferred to Bucklow Poor Law Union until 1930. It was also in Altrincham Rural Sanitary District. For the year 1894-1895 it was in Altrincham Rural District before being transferred to Bucklow Rural District for the remainder of its existence.
NOTE: There is also a place named Great Warford in Cheshire.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Little Warford, Cheshire, England | Marthall cum Warford, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England