Marthall was formed in 1951 from another civil parish named Marthall-cum-Warford which existed in Cheshire from 1894 until 1951. In 1951 it was split into the two parishes of Marthall and Little Warford. Marthall-cum-Warford was located in Bucklow Rural District east of Knutsford.
Marthall-cum-Warford had been a township in Rostherne ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred, and was created a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1836 to 1895 it had been in Altrincham Poor Law Union, when it was transferred to Bucklow Poor Law Union until 1930. It was also in Altrincham Rural Sanitary District. For the year 1894-1895 it was in Altrincham Rural District before being transferred to Bucklow Rural District for the remainder of its existence.