Place:Little Sodbury, Gloucestershire, England

Watchers


NameLittle Sodbury
TypeVillage
Located inGloucestershire, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Little Sodbury is an English village in South Gloucestershire, located between Chipping Sodbury, to the West, Old Sodbury to the South, Badminton, and the A46 road to the East and Horton and Hawkesbury Upton, to the north.

The "manor of Sodbury" comprises the nearby Chipping Sodbury and Old Sodbury: it is distinct from that of Little Sodbury.

St Adeline's Church was built in 1859 by William James.

Little Sodbury Manor is originally 15th century, the home of Sir John Walsh who employed William Tyndale as chaplain and tutor to his grandchildren in 1522-3; by tradition he began his translation of the Bible in his bedroom here. The manor retains the porch and Great Hall, with a timber roof resting on corbels carved as shield-bearing angels, of the fifteenth-century courtyard house. The house fell into disrepair in the nineteenth century, but was restored by architect Sir Harold Brakspear for Lord Grosvenor and later Baron de Tuyll.

Little Sodbury's Iron Age hill fort reshaped by the Romans is accessible from the village via the Cotswold Way at . There is an Royal Observer Corps post at . Little Sodbury is one of three Thankful Villages in Gloucestershire - those rare places that suffered no fatalities during the Great War of 1914 to 1918.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Little Sodbury. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.