Latchford is a predominantly residential area, Latchford lies between the River Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal, and broadly consists of 19th century terraced housing and some open space. The canal is crossed here by a swing bridge, a high level road bridge and the now disused Latchford railway viaduct.
Its name came from Anglo-Saxon Læccford = "Boggy-stream ford".
After a number of boundary changes between Latchford and its neighbouring parishes from 1884 onward, it was finally completely absorbed into Warrington County Borough in 1898. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time) The same source states that Latchford was always a township within the parish of Grappenhall.