|Alt names||Gropenhale||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 53|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Bucklow (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Warrington Registration District, Lancashire, England||registration district of which it was part until 1895|
|Runcorn Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1895|
|Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Warrington (metropolitan borough), Cheshire, England||metropolitan borough in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Grappenhall has been since 1974 a suburban village in Warrington in Cheshire, England. It is situated along the Bridgewater Canal, and forms one of the principal settlements of Grappenhall and Thelwall civil parish. According to the 2001 UK census, the population of the entire civil parish was 9,377.
The township of Latchford has always been part of the parish of Grappenhall. Thelwall was a separate parish until 1936 when it was absorbed into Grappenhall.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Grappenhall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "GRAPPENHALL, a township and a parish in the district of Warrington and county of Chester. The township lies on the Bridgewater canal, near the North-western railway and the river Mersey, 2¾ miles SE by S of Warrington; and has a post office under Warrington. Acres: 1,540. Real property: £5,566. Population: 701. Houses: 139.
- "The parish includes also the township of Latchford, and contains 2,550 acres. Real property: £14,438. Population: 3,586. Houses: 712. The property is subdivided. [Grappenhall] Hall and the Heys are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value: £542. Patron, the Rev. T. Greenall. The church was built in 1539. The two vicarages of Latchford are separate benefices. There two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £18."
Categories: Cheshire, England | Bucklow (hundred), Cheshire, England | Warrington Registration District, Lancashire, England | Runcorn Registration District, Cheshire, England | Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, England | Warrington (metropolitan borough), Cheshire, England | Grappenhall, Cheshire, England
Help fund new features!