Place:Grappenhall, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameGrappenhall
Alt namesGropenhalesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 53
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates53.367°N 2.533°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBucklow Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Warrington District, Cheshire, Englandmetropolitan borough in which it has been located since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Grappenhall has been since 1974 a suburban village in Warrington in Cheshire, England. It is situated along the Bridgewater Canal, and forms one of the principal settlements of Grappenhall and Thelwall civil parish. According to the 2001 UK census, the population of the entire civil parish was 9,377.

The township of Latchford was part of the ancient parish of Grappenhall. Thelwall was a separate parish until 1936 when it was absorbed into Grappenhall.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Grappenhall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"GRAPPENHALL, a township and a parish in the district of Warrington and county of Chester. The township lies on the Bridgewater canal, near the North-western railway and the river Mersey, 2¾ miles SE by S of Warrington; and has a post office under Warrington. Acres: 1,540. Real property: £5,566. Population: 701. Houses: 139.
"The parish includes also the township of Latchford, and contains 2,550 acres. Real property: £14,438. Population: 3,586. Houses: 712. The property is subdivided. [Grappenhall] Hall and the Heys are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value: £542. Patron, the Rev. T. Greenall. The church was built in 1539. The two vicarages of Latchford are separate benefices. There two dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £18."

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Grappenhall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.