Place:Langley, Durham, England

Alt namesLangley Parksource: village in township/parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.799°N 1.67°W
Located inDurham, England
See alsoLanchester, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Chester Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Lanchester Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Derwentside District, Durham, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

NOTE: The township of Langley described here is not the mining village of Langley Moor described in Wikipedia. Langley Moor is southwest of Durham. Langley is northwest of Durham and directly east of Lanchester.

The township of Langley has been found on Google Earth as Langley Park. A description of the 21st century Langley Park is to be found in Wikipedia.

There is also a place named Langley to the north in Northumberland.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Langley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LANGLEY, a township in Lanchester parish, Durhamshire; on the river Browney, 4 miles WNW of Durham. Acres: 2,378. Real property: £1,608. Population: 129. Houses: 23. A ruined old hall is here, which belonged to the family of Scroope."

Langley was originally a township in the ancient parish of Lanchester, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Lanchester Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Derwentside non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.

Research Tips