Place:Kenton, Northumberland, England

Alt namesBank Topsource: hamlet in parish
Blacklawsource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inTyne and Wear, England     (1974 - )
See alsoGosforth, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Castle Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Castle Ward Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, Englandcounty borough to which it was transferred in 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kenton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"KENTON, a township in Gosforth parish, Northumberland; on the Northeastern railway, 3 miles NNE of Newcastle-on-Tyne. It contains the hamlets of Bank Top and Blacklaw; and has a post office under Newcastle, and an endowed national school. Acres: 1,436. Population: 658. Houses: 157. Coal and building stone were formerly worked."

Kenton was a township in the ancient parish of Gosforth and became a separate civil parish in 1866. It was situated to the west of Gosforth and on the border of Newcastle upon Tyne. From 1894 it was part of Castle Ward Rural District. In 1935 the civil parish was transferred to Newcastle upon Tyne county borough in the county of Northumberland. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.