Place:Horncliffe, Northumberland, England

TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.739°N 2.121°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     (1844 - )
Also located inDurham, England     ( - 1844)
See alsoNorhamshire, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Norham and Islandshires Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Loanend, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Horncliffe in 1955
Longridge, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Horncliffe in 1955
Norham Mains, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish absorbed into Horncliffe in 1955
Berwick upon Tweed District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Horncliffe is a village in the county of Northumberland, England. It lies on the south bank of the River Tweed about 5 miles (8 km) southwest of Berwick upon Tweed, and about 3 miles (5 km) north east of Norham and is the most northerly village in England. It had a population of 403 in the UK census of 2011.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Horncliffe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HORNCLIFFE, a village and a township in Norham parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the river Tweed, at the boundary with Scotland, adjacent to Union-Bridge and to the Northeastern railway, 4½ miles SW of Berwick-upon-Tweed; and has a post office under Berwick, and an English Presbyterian or Free church. Union Bridge was constructed in 1820, at a cost of about £7,500, after designs by Sir Samuel Brown, R.N.; is a suspension bridge for carriages, the first of its kind ever constructed; has the carriage-way 27 feet above the surface of the stream; and measures 368 feet in length, and 18 feet in width.
"The township comprises 606 acres. Population: 299. Houses: 68. The higher grounds command a fine view of the Tweed and the Merse."

Horncliffe was a township in Norhamshire within the county of Durham until 1844, subsequently in Northumberland. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of Norham and Islandshires Rural District. In 1955 the neighbouring parishes of Loanend, Longridge and Norham Mains were abolished and absorbed into Horncliffe. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Horncliffe became part of the Berwick upon Tweed District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Horncliffe. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.