|Alt names||Raw Green||source: from redirect|
|Type||Civil parish, Former administrative division|
|Located in||Northumberland, England (1955 - )|
|Also located in||England (850 - 1572)|
|See also||Hexham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Hexhamshire High Quarter, Northumberland, England||civil parish from which it was formed in 1955|
|Hexhamshire Middle Quarter, Northumberland, England||civil parish from which it was formed in 1955|
|Hexhamshire West Quarter, Northumberland, England||civil parish from which it was formed in 1955|
|Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1955-1974|
|Tynedale District, Northumberland, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
- the text in this article is based on an article in Wikipedia
The Modern Parish
In modern use, Hexhamshire is a name of a civil parish south of Hexham. The parish covers a very large but sparsely populated area, including the villages of Dalton and Whitley Chapel, Broadwell House, and Hexhamshire Common. The current civil parish was formed in 1955 by the union of the Hexhamshire High Quarter, Hexhamshire Middle Quarter and Hexhamshire West Quarter parishes. Hexhamshire Low Quarter remains a separate civil parish, between Hexhamshire and Hexham.
From 1955 Hexhamshire was part of Hexham Rural District. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Hexhamshire became part of the Tynedale District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
From before the Conqest of Britain by the Normans in 1066, Hexhamshire was a "county" in northern England. After several hundred years it was incorporated into the county of Northumberland in 1572.
Originally the county could be equated to one of the districts of the Kingdom of Northumbria, the town of Hexham then being the seat of a bishopric. It later lost its privileges as an independent county, and became considered part of County Durham. (The southern border of the present parish of Hexhamshire is the Northumberland border with Durham.)
In the early 1100s, Henry I of England decided to weaken the power of the prince bishops of Durham by removing parts of their realm. In doing so, he again elevated Hexhamshire to county status, with Hexham as its county town.
Hexhamshire remained a county until 1572, in the reign of Elizabeth I, when it was incorporated into Northumberland by Act of Parliament. At the same time, the district was transferred from the ecclesiastical see of Durham to the ecclesiastical see of York, where it remained until 1837.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Hexhamshire from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "HEXHAMSHIRE, a division of Hexham parish, and a quondam county palatine, in Northumberland. The division of Hexham parish comprises the townships of High Quarter, Low Quarter, Middle Quarter, and West Quarter....
- "The quondam county palatine comprised the parishes of Hexham, St. John-Lee, and Allendale; was governed, as a regality, by the bishops of Hexham; passed, as a barony, to the archbishops of York; and was annexed, in the time of Elizabeth, to Northumberland."
Statistics from Wilson's Gazetteer are from the UK census of 1861 and are provided here in tabular form.
|High Quarter||Low Quarter||Middle Quarter||West Quarter ||Total
|Area|| 8,783 || 3,608 || 5,700 || 5,117 || 23,208
|Population|| 243 || 454 || 2555 || 257 || 3509
|Houses|| 44 || 92 || 54 || 50 || 240
|Location||extends from 6 miles S by W of Hexham town to the borders of Durhamshire; is wild and mountainous.||extends from 2 to 4 ½ miles S of Hexham; includes the camping ground of the Lancastrians previous to the battle of Hexham, and a romantic ravine called Deepden, with the Queen's cave, where Margaret and her child lay concealed after the battle.||extends from 3 to 6 miles S by W of Hexham; had a lead manufactory, which was recently removed to Allendale parish.||extends from 1 to 4 miles W of Hexham; includes the access to the suspension bridge over the South Tyne.||
|Settlements||Lillswood ||Dotland, Lee, Linnels, Ordley and Steel ||Dalton, Mollerstead and Raw Green||Greenshaw Plain, Nubbock and Summerrods||
- Hexhamshire local website
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Hexhamshire, Northumberland, England | Hexham, Northumberland, England | Tynedale Ward, Northumberland, England | Hexham Rural, Northumberland, England | Tynedale District, Northumberland, England